Siri App Won't Continue to Operate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sbrhwkp3, Oct 6, 2011.

1. sbrhwkp3 macrumors 6502a

sbrhwkp3

I've been using the Siri app for a while on my iPhone 4. Today, when I pulled it out for a reminder, I got this message:

"I've been replaced! The new Siri is even smarter and better-looking than me, and waiting for you on the iPhone 4S. I'll be leaving for home Oct 15th.

Until then... how can I help you?"

Is this some kind of indication that the app will no longer work on the iPhone 4? If so, they might be FORCING me into an iPhone 4S... :confused::mad:

2. handi macrumors member

Where did you get the app from? I have been on the beta test forever and have never received the app.

3. theperipheral macrumors 6502

This was already reported. That app will run until the 14th, I think. Then the only way to use it is have the 4S.

4. sbrhwkp3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sbrhwkp3

I downloaded it from the App store awhile ago... back when Macrumors first reported it may be integrated into iOS5.

5. handi macrumors member

Odd, I am not seeing it at all. I would really like to give it a try and see if its really worth the new phone.

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

if you want a decent voice recognition app for iPhone 4 try Vlingo it works exceptionally well, can do the majority of the tasks Siri can and it's FREE

7. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Nonsense. Siri is much better than Vlingo. can't even compare them.

The SIRI app for existing iPhones has been pulled from the app store. I've been using it for a year...I hope it still works after the 14th.

8. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Apple pulled it off of the App Store after it purchased Siri several months ago (if not years).

And it is indeed true, Siri app will be shut down by Apple to force people to buy the 4S. It angers me personally. Why shut down a perfectly good app that people already downloaded and installed, just to force them to buy a non-innovative product?

By the way, Siri app and Siri Assistant are EXACTLY alike. The text bubbles, the AI, the voice recognition, etc. All Apple did was integrate it with the OS. Other than that, nothing new.

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Actually it was still on the app store until Tuesday, they pulled it just when the 4S was announced. Shutting down access to the servers on the 14th. If you don't have an iPhone 4S after that - NO SIRI FOR YOU!

10. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Ah, I didn't know that. There hasn't been any App Updates for it since Apple bought Siri. That much I am certain of.

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

Because the software and servers it relies on don't maintain themselves.

12. ChrisSD macrumors member

They had to give SOME reason for iPhone 4 owners to upgrade to the 4s...:rolleyes:

13. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Really? That's a reason to shut out thousands of people who still have Siri on their iPhones? They couldn't spend a little for us?

Either way, I'm sure they would have profited from maintaing those servers. Before being purchased by Apple, Siri had no problem maintaing them.

This was done purely to get people to buy the 4S, because that's the only distinguishing factor between the 4 and the 4S, apart from the camera and A5.

14. admanimal macrumors 68040

Siri wasn't making money before Apple bought them. They had about $25 million in venture capital that allowed them to run the business. The app was only out for a couple of months before Apple bought them.

There is absolutely zero benefit to Apple to keep an outdated product from a company that no longer exists running. And yes, I'm sure they'd rather people just buy a 4S if they really want Siri's functionality.

15. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Zero benefit for Apple... except yet another reputation hit. You know, one of the things I love(d) about Apple is that despite being a corporation, they used to be more than that. Customers and customer service was actually valued. It's extremely sad to see that nowadays they're becoming an average corporate giant running after money. Let's hope they don't continue down this road. I love Apple too much for that.

16. admanimal macrumors 68040

I don't think the Apple that exists in your mind ever actually existed in the real world. Disabling this old service is entirely in line with how they usually do things.

17. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Cool. We have our own opinions I guess. Naturally, I think mine is correct. But to each his own.