Siri assumes which language I want

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Siri often assumes I want to speak to someone in a certain language but only with certain people, my predefined responses are in French (although these people texted me in English, but I sometimes speak to them in French) and when I dictate my response in English (for Siri to translate into words) She writes gibberish of whatever French word she could make out of my English sentence.

I would be very happy to have the choice between both, but now siri is just deciding for me.

(btw I thought it could have something to do with the keyboard language in the iPhone but it is set to English and I still get French answers.?? What's going on??

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
Siri often assumes I want to speak to someone in a certain language (only with certain people), my predefined responses are in french (although these people texted me in English, but I sometimes speak to them in French) and when I dictate my response in English (for Siri to translate into words) She writes gibberish of whatever French word she could make out of my English sentence.

I would be very happy to have the choice between both, but now siri is just deciding for me.

(btw I thought it could have something to do with the keyboard language in the iPhone but it is set to English and I still get French answers.?? What's going on??
That would be difficult to engineer properly. You pick a single language for a reason.

Comment

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
That would be difficult to engineer properly. You pick a single language for a reason.
I did pick a language. English. It's siri that is assuming stuff

my mom just texted me

"Did you finish work?"

I get the choice between "Oui" or "Non"

WTF? My watch is set to english

Comment

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
What do you have it set to under settings>general>Language & Region, also what language do you have siri set to?

Comment

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
I did pick a language. English. It's siri that is assuming stuff

my mom just texted me

"Did you finish work?"

I get the choice between "Oui" or "Non"

WTF? My watch is set to english
Oh, my bad. I misunderstood.

Yeah, I don't know about that. Try checking settings on the phone and the watch to make sure you have the same thing checked?

Comment

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
What about in your messages conversation with her on your iPhone?

From the user guide:

“If the preset replies aren’t in the language you want to use, you can change them by switching to the keyboard for that language in the same conversation in Messages on iPhone. Cancel your original reply on Apple*Watch, then reply again to see the replies in the new language. If you don’t want to change keyboards, you can dictate and send an audio clip in the language of your choice.”

Excerpt From: Apple Inc. “Apple Watch User Guide.” Apple Inc., 2015. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/4HEW6.l

Comment

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
In WatchOS beta 2, when using iMessage on the Apple Watch if you force touch during dictation you can choose your language. (Language was previously set according to the keyboard being used on iPhone with this specific contact.)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435163973.333844.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435163997.162342.jpg

Pictures are taken with iPhone screenshots on AW seem to be broken for me in beta 2. I tried looking for a toggle ON/OFF.. But nope..

Reactions: Pixelatic
Comment