Siri Autocompletes as you speak

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by matty.p, Jun 2, 2014.

1. matty.p macrumors 6502

Not sure this has been mentioned anywhere else but as you use Siri it autocompletes the text as it recognizes it. Seems to have sped it up quite a bit too.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. matty.p thread starter macrumors 6502

Dang I tried to be helpful!

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I watched the keynote when I got home, and Craig mentioned the "Hey Siri" feature works when the device is plugged in, like when you're driving. Is that the only time it works, or does it work if the device is not plugged in?

5. btsvchris macrumors member

Only works when the device is plugged in. Would use to much battery otherwise.
    For me it works great, just sometimes I have to press the button to speak to Siri again for my request.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Makes sense, I can see it being a big drain. Maybe the iPhone 6 will have a dedicated always listening Siri chip, like the M7 in the 5s.

7. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I'm hoping so. This feature is awesome.

8. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree...iPhone 6 will definitely have "always on" Siri with the specialized audio-chip. I predicted it before WWDC and now with "Hey Siri", it seems more certain.

10. Topher227 macrumors regular

OP, are you referring to the "Hey Siri" feature... or the fact that when you activate siri, you can see each word transcribed AS you say it? It sounds like your speaking of the latter, but all replies seem to discuss the former.

If the latter, this is a great feature which i'm sure will make its way to the speech-to-text button on the keyboard.

If the former, please ignore everything i've said :D.