Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Since upgrading to an iPhone Xs and iOS 12, I have noticed that Siri is taking aaaages to sears for music on Apple Music.

Where before on my iPhone X, on iOS 11 (can't remember how it was on iOS 12) it was very quick (2-3 Siri "swishes" normally), but now it is taking from 15-27 "swishes".

This is very frustrating when I'm driving, sometimes Siri will give me a "one moment" or a "checking on that" while searching, where this never happened before.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose / rectify this?

Cheers,
Stewart

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Is there any update on this?

Siri works fine for me whenever I use it EXCEPT for Apple Music. It will take ~15 seconds, then come back and say it can't play the music I requested, then it just puts something on from my library at random. This all started with IOS 12, and has gotten worse over the last few weeks.

I'm at the point that I am going to terminate Apple Music. The main reason I chose it over Spotify was the integration, which is 100% useless now.
[doublepost=1541710062][/doublepost]I found a work-around for me. Maybe it will help others while Apple works on the problem...

If I go into Settings->Music, and turn off "Icloud Music Library", then restart the Music App. Siri works fine. If I go back in and re-enable ICloud Music Library then I get the same Siri issues here it can't play any music for me.

Obviously those of us with an icloud Music Library would like this fixed. In the meantime, if you really want Siri integration, try turning off the iCloud Music Library.

Update: Well, the solution above is only a partial solution. When I went to use siri with Apple Music today, it wouldn't work until I pulled out the phone, closed the Music App, and restarted it. For me this makes Apple Music useless. I use Apple Music mostly in the car and on a bike. If I have to fish out my phone and close an app and restart an app, it isn't really hands-free. I may as well be using Pandora or Spotify if I have to be pulling out my phone, which I refuse to do while driving or riding a bike.

I'll be turning off my Apple Music today.

Last edited:

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I am on 12.1.1 beta 2, and I asked Siri for a song today on CarPlay and it found it within 2 seconds. Only tried it once though.

Hopefully a sign of things to come.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I upgraded to 12.1.1b2 and it didn't help me. I tried it in the car and it Siri still gives the same error messages.

Last edited:

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
My issues seems to be tied to the car. If I use siri to control Apple music using the phone speaker or Airpods, things work fine. In the car, connected to bluetooth, I get the I'l let you know when I'm ready", then "No Siri Connection" messages.

Oddly enough, if I pause the music, then try Siri it will sometimes work. The problems seems to be tied to when the phone is connected to the car bluetooth profile.

Time for me to move on from Apple Music. Hopefully Apple fixes it for other folks though. What happened to the days of Apple when "It Just Works"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.