Siri + Bluetooth earphones = Texting while driving?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldinboy17, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

So I just realized that Siri can be activated with my bluetooth earphones. Leaving one of the earphones in my ear while driving seems like an excellent solution to talking/responding to texts while driving. Does anyone else think this seems relatively safe? Just push a button and tell Siri what to do vs grabbing your phone and manually writing a text. Kinda seems like the perfect solution for us stuck commuting 2+ hours a day. I mean it seems pretty safe and convenient, just left wondering about the legal boundaries.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Of course... this is infinitely safer than the alternative.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I personally would not recommend it, but it's your choice. :)

One thing though, I know Siri would read text messages to you, but what if the text is like this:

"ohh hai guyz watz goin on r u keen 4 sum jamz lololz"

?

4. singlestick macrumors regular

I think that this is a new frontier. I would be very surprised if Siri type issues are covered by texting while driving laws.

5. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

yea thats what i was thinking too. it sounds like my friends about 3 years ago. now were all 26 or 27 so we have toned it down a bit lol. but i still think sir with a bluetooth will be epic.

6. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I totally agree. The checking of its accuracy and correcting it while driving is no less risky than texting IMO.

7. Goldinboy17, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Egh, I'd send them a dictionary. Least to say I'm somewhat impressed with Siri now. I was extremely critical of it on it's announcement and really did consider it more of a novelty. I'm beginning to like Siri lol

8. mayerkim macrumors member

Hey. Slight bit of a sidetrack from the exact topic at hand, but I gotta ask. What bt headphones are you using? I'm actually looking for a BT headset (not headphones) for my iPhone 4S. I assume if the headset can do voice control on the iPhone 4, it'll also be able to do it for Siri and 4S.

I bought a Plantronics M1100, but it won't let me use the iPhone voice control features--only the Plantronics Vocalist program.

What are compatible headsets? I really would like one.

9. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

There's a few actually. The main reason I purchased mine were so I could easily jog and listen to music without wires. Streaming music wirelessly from your phone is amazing. I use the Lg Tone, but Motorola also has a few pairs that are pretty cheap. As you can see from the reviews though the Lg Tone just plain kicks ass.

10. disarticulate macrumors regular

To the people out there who claim that checking the accuracy of siri is risky, what is your response to the argument that there are tons of "reading" distractions while driving: billboards, bumper stickers, looking for address numbers, tuning radio dials...(?)

Should we banish those as well?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge proponent of safe driving. But when using good judgement, there is a huge difference between reading nytimes.com while driving and a 7 word text message from a friend. Now typing a text message is a totally different story.

11. fs454 macrumors 65816

Agreed. Should I not be able to listen to the radio either?

12. j4bles macrumors member

I'm really hoping my JayBird Freedoms work flawlessly. I wouldn't see why not. I'll report back later today.

13. Kat518 macrumors newbie

I used the M1100 for the first time today and was quite happy with it. The trick to using it with Siri is to hit the bottom button 2x quickly and it will activate Siri.

14. Virance macrumors regular

For what it's worth, I texted that from one phone to the other and had Siri read it to me. She actually did quite well, it was very understandable (though that is incredibly difficult to say with any real certainty, since once you know what something is supposed to be you identify it significantly more accurately yourself.)

15. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Also have the M1100 (great headset). The only problem is that the headset also does voice recognition so when you double click the button, you hear two beeps (one for headset, one for Siri).

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Might like to point out that minus the address numbers one (which generally you should be a low speed when you are doing it) the others should not remove your eyes from the road completely.

Radio dials can be done by feel and generally are done by feel. Bumper sticker you still have distance. Bill board your eyes still are seeing the cars around you and still on the road.

The part about the texting is it is taking a huge part of your brain power off the road same as a phone call. Talking to someone in your car your brain is not trying to menalally picture them.

Its argument like your that are shown in research to be no where as close as texting while driving. Txting while driving is worse than driving drunk end of story.
    Talking on the phone is not much better than driving while drunk. Mix that with the amount of time those last it is worse than other distractions.

17. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Siri will read back your message to you before "she" sends it. Why do you need to check for accuracy?

18. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I found this thread when doing a search on the M1100. I just bought it and couldn't figure out how to get Siri to activate with it unless I used the iPhone itself.
    Thanks for posting this!!

So far, so good. It's not perfect. And occasionally the sound is a little choppy, but over all it's great. I love listening to a podcast on it too.
    My only other complaint is the delay after hitting the headset 2x real quick and when Siri gets activated.