Siri: "Call Chico's Pizza"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rrandyy, Feb 12, 2012.

1. rrandyy macrumors 6502

I have a contact in my phone called "Chico's Pizza" When I ask Siri to call Chico's Pizza, it tells me it can't find "Chicos Pizza" (note the missing apostrophe).

What's the best way of correcting this type of mistake without change the punctuation of my contacts?

Pro tip: For those in SF, Chico's pizza is very yummy, though I recommend delivery as its location is suspect.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Simple. Say literally this: "Call Chico apostrophe s pizza."

I just tried it.

4. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. These are simple solutions, though not elegant.

If anyone learns of a way to "correct" this "problem" so that Siri does a phonetic match, rather than an exact textual match, or even ignores punctuation in the contacts list, please let me know.

5. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

I was having a problem with Siri undersatnding my wife's name, so I renamed her in my contacts, DaBitch :D

6. fins831 macrumors 6502a

change the name to Pizza so you can just say Call Pizza

7. swiftbmx macrumors regular

Or save yourself the trouble and just open the phone app and click the contact. Siri is useless. I expect many downvotes.

8. fins831 macrumors 6502a

9. hushypushy macrumors member

hushypushy

haha, this is the exact reason I have never been there. I must have driven by there thousands of times, but 6th and Mission is not a place I really want to hang around...

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Follow the advice in typing it in the contacts phonetic section of the contract.

Generally i find Siri understands me.

And for the reply by 'swiftbmx' who expects the down vote i don't do this as everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Happy days.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Change the contact from "Chico's Pizza" to "Chico Pizza"

12. bluesboy77 macrumors member

I gave you an up vote. :D :cool:

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually there is a way.

1. Go into your contacts and Find your contact for Chico's Pizza
    2. Tap "Edit"
    3. Scroll to the bottom, and tap the green plus sign next to "add field."
    4. There are two fields that concern us here: Phonetic First Name and Phonetic Last Name. you can experiment with this, but you could probably just type "Chicos" in Phonetic First Name and "Pizza" in Phonetic Last Name. Or, you might have to break down and do "Cheek Ohs" "Peet Zuh." or something like that.

In any case, those two fields are there for use whenever Siri has a phonetic or other problem, and you'd like to fix it without marring up the actual spelling of the name that shows in the contact info.

14. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

15. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

We have an area in St. Louis called Soulard and i tried getting directions from siri today to a restaurant there.

First time i tried it interpreted it as "sue lard" (which is technically how you say it) and it told me it couldn't find directions in Japan lol

So i said it again and said Soulard Saint Louis, and siri said "i'm sorry i cant find Sue on Lard Street in Saint louis"

was just cracking me up! :D

not sure how i would fix something like this though because i'm not going to put in a contact just to fix how it finds soulard

16. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Siri had no problem finding it for me. (I set the phone # to 1 which is why siri said the last part)

Attached Files:

17. matttye macrumors 601

18. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Or Chicos Pizza (no apostrophe) should work great.

19. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Great response, I will just add that Siri also uses nicknames, so OP could use that as well.

20. Bigtree macrumors 6502

21. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I second that, anywhere other than the USA siri is difficult at best, I struggle with a simple "Call my girlfriend" or "Play songs by The Foo Fighters", Siri was one of the only reasons I bought the 4S.

Boo Apple, work harder!!!!

22. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I completely agree with you. It's fun the first few times, and sometimes handy when at the lockscreen for example, but pretty useless.

let the downvotes pour in.

23. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

So far I've found the majority of those people saying that Siri doesn't work or is useless are those that either do not know how to properly use the feature, or fail in being able to enunciate clearly enough for it to understand.

24. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Just give the place a nickname. Siri will know which contact to call based on the nickname you say.

25. Zxxv Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just say call pizza. I have pizza and in that 3 different pizza places with their name next to their number. Then just hit the right one.