Siri can only feed the USA! UK goes hungry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bagpuss, Oct 14, 2011.

1. bagpuss macrumors newbie

So, I'm a bit disappointed that when I ask Siri "where can I have lunch", I get the response "Sorry Dominic, I can only look for businesses in the United States, and when you're using U.S. English.

I trust this limitation will be removed?

Even things like "where's the nearest post office" don't work!

2. WytRaven macrumors 6502

It's not a limitation to be removed it's a feature that needs to be added. Apple makes deals with third parties to provide this kind of information. In the US I believe it is Yelp that they are using. Apple needs to find partners in all the other countries too. Think of this like iBooks. They went to market with deals negotiated in the US and then worked through the other countries making deals afterwards.

It will happen, just be patient.

3. bagpuss thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, that explains it, thanks. Sort of...

I'm English, so of course I'm able to appreciate the irony in telling man who's already got his hands on an iPhone 4S to "just be patient"!
    ;-)

4. bfranz macrumors newbie

5. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

I can understand business search not working, but can't fathom why maps, routes, and traffic don't work. They need no new agreements to be made with google as they're all on my phone already.

6. bagpuss thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just trying out some of the Easter Eggs. Many of these too don't work in the UK!

"I'm going to kill myself".

"Sorry Dominic, I can only look for businesses in the United States, and when you're using U.S. English".

Now we know they care about us less ;)

7. cerisier macrumors member

So what happens when you try UK English?