Siri cannot carry out song recognition

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by peter08po, May 14, 2015.

1. peter08po macrumors member

While attempt to say "What song's playing?" to Siri, this screen pops up even I have Handoff turned on in iPhone setting.

[​IMG]

Anyone know a solution?

2. ahwman macrumors member

You must use a third-party solution such as Shazam...

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

So as you may know, Shazam powers Siri's song recognition capability. So I looked into it and this is what Apple says about Shazam's Apple Watch App. Bold emphasis is mine:

For those who have an Apple Watch, can you please answer this question: Do you have to unlock the iPhone, or does it just tap into the iPhone's mic and run it in the background while your phone is locked in your pocket?

I'm wondering whether Apple Watch's mic is good enough to pick up the songs, or if Apple just hasn't implemented the native SDK for using any of the Apple Watch's hardware functions aside from force touch and health data which is piped through HealthKit anyway?

4. irentamac macrumors regular

irentamac

5. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

This sounds like a self-fulfilling project to me ... Apple has not enabled third party access to the mic, as it should be sufficient to get enough of a sample to recognize a song. Since Siri uses Shazam, Apple is thwarted by the access they've allowed third parties, even the ones their own integrated technology relies on. Hilarious.

6. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Shazam works fine for me on the watch, without having to do anything on the iPhone (after initial setup). I have it in glances and can use it to name a song without holding it close to the speaker or anything, while my phone is asleep on the other side of the room.

7. TEBnewyork macrumors regular

I don't really understand what you are saying?

Shazam works fine on the watch

8. peter08po thread starter macrumors member

The Shazam app itself works very fine on Apple Watch.
    The problem is that Siri cannot use the Shazam database to recognize the songs playing. If it can be done on iPhone Siri, why it stopped working on Apple Watch Siri?

9. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Can't answer that, for me it's easier to just press the button on the Shazam glance than wake up Siri and ask the question.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It might be something to do with hey Siri and background noise.

11. Allenx360 macrumors newbie

Wow epic fail. Hopefully someone on their dev team realizes what a mistake they've made an attempts to fix it... Soon!

12. tigerinexile macrumors newbie

The Shazam glance/app works fine.

When Siri IDs a song, does it stay in a tags list? If not, then I'd prefer to keep on using the Shazam app...