Siri can't read emails!? Only text messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j-a-x, Oct 11, 2011.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I just watched a Macworld review video where they say that Siri cannot read emails, it can just tell you how many unread emails you have, but it can read you txt messages and send emails. That's kind of a bummer. Siri actually says "Sorry, I cannot read emails, only text messages".

I was hoping to use it to listen to emails while driving. I wonder how long until Apple adds reading emails as a feature.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Not yet though,

Siri is still in Beta, so maybe in the future.

3. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Maybe when is done completely , but maybe cause emails is HTMLs so is harder to read and it could be very long, I know my company sends some long boring emails I prefer to read those or sometimes don't Lmao

4. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I would assume so in the future, there's really no reason why not. I know it's beta, I just hadn't noticed they left that out when I saw the Appel promo videos.

----------

Yeah true. But it wouldn't be so hard to just read text messages, or just read subjects, or something. There are a lot of creative solutions. Some day...

I think we need to place bets on how long it will take.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yep, its beta. Eventually it will be able to read e-mails and get used with third party applications. I cannot wait for third party apps..thats gonna be cool!!

6. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Makes sense...emails are extremely long and complex. Not to mention there are a lot of emails now a days that are all images.

7. monkeylui macrumors 6502

cool if they integrate one day. but for me its not something i could see using. but who knows.

8. Darwing macrumors 6502

how can u say its in beta ??? its a final release apple wouldnt have it with ios5 if it wasnt in final version...

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Actually, I'd like to see Siri combined with the auto-summary feature from (I'm pretty sure) iWeb so if you get an email with more than ~30-45 seconds worth of text (and I'm assuming it'll be smart enough to ignore signatures and quoted text, etc) it reads you the summary and displays the full message for you to read if required, or asks you which you would like, etc.

On an unrelated note, it's going to be funny when I get my GV transcribed voicemail texted to me then read to me by Siri.

10. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/#siri

Just out of curiosity...what is that big orange triangle in the corner for then?

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Because I says beta all over it and was specifically described as being in beta when announced.

12. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Yeah that's what I mean. There are creative solutions. Or Siri could just read subjects. Something like that would work. It would at least give me an idea of whether it is worth pulling over to read the entire email. There are ways of doing it.

There's actually a new app that will read your Twitter feed to you in real time. It would be cool to have Siri do something like that. Then I could hear the liveblog tweets about certain events while driving.

Haha GV voice message transcripts can be pretty bad.

13. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Parsing HTML is likely a problem that will take some time to figure out. Otherwise you are going to hear something like this from Siri when you receive the latest Apple marketing e-mail:

"A h ref equals quotation h t t p colon forward slash forward slash apple dot com forward slash assets forward slash iPhone forward slash photo underscore one dot jpeg...."

In time, I suspect they will resolve this.

Length is probably another issue. I'm not sure how Siri/iPhone hardware will handle parsing 3 lengthy paragraphs in real-time.

14. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

15. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

If HTML code can be converted to readable, copy and passable text, then it can be spoken. It's not really that hard. Siri could just read the subject only of HTML emails if they are unparsable, and mention unable to read HTML rather than just skipping email altogether. And it could either just read until you press the button on the iPhone (or bluetooth button, or headphones button) and then stop, or .... there are lots of solutions. I don't really think it's a technical issue, which is why I'd bet that APple would add that support sooner rather than later.

16. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

My "dead in the water" symbian phone can read out emails. I'm sure Siri can do it, eventually.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Love it when people post a stupid question, then never reply back when they realize it. Every ad for Siri has the orange beta sign.

18. Darwing macrumors 6502

i didnt get back because i have crap to do!!! and why would they have beta software being part of a final release of IOS?

beta means before userland release, and just because its going to get updates doesnt make it a beta, this will constantly be updated for as long as its a part of ios, doesnt make it beta... its in v1.0 in ios 5 release

19. Surely Guest

Surely

They specifically said that it's still in beta at the keynote last week. :rolleyes:

20. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

It's called managing expectations.

21. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You still missed the big, orange triangle?

22. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Why would parsing HTML for voice be any more of a problem than for display in a browser?

23. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Gmail was in beta for an age, but everyone still had an account..

24. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I can't get it to even read my text messages.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Didn't apple acquire Siri in April of 2010? 18MOS later and you're still on beta??