Siri can't use maps/gps in Canada?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adamdt, Oct 14, 2011.

1. adamdt macrumors newbie

hey all, anyone know why siri cant use gps in canada?.. that's prob one of siri's biggest features to be able to find things for you.

anyone know when we can expect an update to fix it?

otherwise pretty great phone so far :D

2. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

For now Siri can only access location services in the USA. I imagine this will be rolled out to Canada as well as other countries soon but Apple has not said when yet.

:apple::apple:

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yes they have. In the Siri FAQ it says maps and local search support will be available in 2012.

4. CdnMacJen macrumors member

No wonder they conveniently left Siri off of Apple.ca's video for the iPhone 4S.

Advantage to being Canadian: Access to unlocked phones.
    Disadvantage: Siri not fully functional.

Sounds like laziness on the part of Apple to me! Although I guess we do have a lot of landmass here...

5. adamdt thread starter macrumors newbie

that sucks we gotta wait till next year.. was hoping sooner rather than later (of course lol) hopefully its first thing 2012 like Jan,Feb

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Lol it's probably because they have to make sure Yelp's systems are fully functional for Canada and that it supports Canadian English and Canadian French. The Map's part though is kind of weird since Google maps is good to go...

7. CdnMacJen macrumors member

I am one of those folks that is hoping to ask it questions in both French and English!

8. adamdt thread starter macrumors newbie

yea the french english thing shouldn't matter when it comes to the maps, like i said hopefully they update it sooner rather than later. still not sure why Canada is still behind in everything in this day and age..so annoying lol

9. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Oh I know, I moved here from the States and while hardware is catching up these days, everything else seems like it's lagging a few years behind lol Software seems to take longer to get to Canada compared to other places, which is weird, since the English side of Canada is much like the US, except the slight accent. :p

10. westward98 macrumors newbie

SIRI not available in Canada because of the french/english thing

...At least that is what I was told by the Apple store employee in Calgary. It is govt. regulation in Canada that, until geographic inquiries can be answered bilingually it cannot be offered here. No time frame given. This after 3 hours in line to buy this thing (my own stupid fault).
    Anyways I have been struggling with the rest of the rest of the so far very problematic voice recognition features. Even in the relative silence of my home office it's voice recognition lead me to have the following exchange with my phone:
    "Text my wife - Terry wants to meet at the pub after work"
    "Okay. Text to Anne reads "Carey wants to meet at the pub after work"
    "Terry not Carey".
    "Do you want to text Carey?"
    "Terry!"
    "Is Terry your wife? Do you want me to store Terry as your wife?"
    "Cancel that. New text to my wife: meet me at the pub after work"
    "Ok. which wife? Anne or Terry?"
    I`m not kidding. This actually happened.

Ever since this exchange I cannot, no matter how many times I reboot and re-enter my personal information to SIRI, disavow it of the notion that I am married to Terry as well as Anne. It keeps asking me which wife I want to text.
    I'm going to have to exchange the phone. Let the next sucker who gets this one be married to Terry.

11. profets macrumors 68040

I can understand that Siri can't do map stuff due to localized data not being available/authorized or whatever.. but then its even funny when I want to use Siri just to help open the maps app

"Open maps"

Siri: "I'd like to, but I'm not allowed to. Sorry about that".

Seriously, can't just open the app at least?