Siri command to put ipad to sleep / go dark

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by B737, Dec 14, 2014.

1. B737, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

i know its as easy as pressing the sleep button but i have an ipad installed in my vehicle and there's no easy access to the sleep / power button.

Is there a siri command i can use to substitute pressing the sleep button? i tried a few like "go to sleep" "lock the ipad" and nothing... googling didnt turn up much either.

edit... hummm touch assist / gesture just dawned on me......

2. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

I haven't heard of a shortcut either in Siri but have recently been using touch assist as well. What exactly is the gesture part though? I've tried watching videos on YouTube about it but had no info about setting up gestures, just lots of people talking about touch assist itself.

3. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

4. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Doesn't work for me, Siri just replies with either "Okie Dokie" or "yeah it is":confused:

5. B737 thread starter macrumors 6502a

B737

i think inducing sleep without touching the sleep button, is not possible. i dont think siri can do it any longer, she could in the past. We have to use assisted touch... which is three (or four) touches.

another option im sure is to jailbreak, you could prob tweak assisted touch and cut it down to single touch or gesture maybe...

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Put assistive touch on. Move the button where u like then tap it. Tap system then tap lock

7. Topher227 macrumors regular

Ha... I know for a fact that if i tell siri to 'shut the [freak] up', while replacing freak, with a much more, ehhm.... colorful word, she will have no response and the screen will turn off.

However, I can see why this is less than helpful in many situations.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Doesn't seem like that does it. There's a response, and at best, after playing around with various commands, Siri might just exit itself but not actually turn the screen off (although the screen would turn off on its own a bit later if screen lock is set to a particular period of time, like 1 minute).

9. Andydigital macrumors regular

Andydigital

Hey Siri Cancel. 60 seconds later or so the screen will go off.

10. B737 thread starter macrumors 6502a

B737

yeah i was looking for a command then reaction to sleep rather than waiting. but thats close....

i ended up jailbreaking and just using activator gesture