Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Thread title is getting at Siri kinda sucking a lot of the time in use with HomePod.

I had this experience earlier today, where I said, "Hey Siri, play shuffle" And siri says, "Okay I've set playback to shuffle." (silence)

Is music playing now? Is the volume off? Another example, siri somehow thinks I want it to play Beats 1 and just starts playing it, cutting off the song on shuffle I was enjoying. "Hey siri, play what you were playing just before this. "Sorry, I can't do that in music." *beats 1 loudly continues* (?)

The speaker is great but Siri...sometimes I wish I had a video of interactions with this speaker so Apple could write stronger routines.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Thread title is getting at Siri kinda sucking a lot of the time in use with HomePod.

I had this experience earlier today, where I said, "Hey Siri, play shuffle" And siri says, "Okay I've set playback to shuffle." (silence)

Is music playing now? Is the volume off? Another example, siri somehow thinks I want it to play Beats 1 and just starts playing it, cutting off the song on shuffle I was enjoying. "Hey siri, play what you were playing just before this. "Sorry, I can't do that in music." *beats 1 loudly continues* (?)

The speaker is great but Siri...sometimes I wish I had a video of interactions with this speaker so Apple could write stronger routines.
You invoked a toggle. Just say "shuffle my music" and "go back one track". Im not shocked what you said didn't work.....it doesn't make any sense grammatically or contextually. You're over complicating the commands saying way too much unneeded fluff. Also you cant go backwards and forwards when using live Beats 1, its LIVE.

Check apple's site for the basics on using it. Keep it simple.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
As above, and you can also shuffle playlists or individual albums in the same way. Shuffle my xxxx playlist, shuffle the album xxx(name) by xxx(artist)

Endorphine88

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Just spend some time learning how to give her commands. I do kind of agree that she should be a little smarter and understand what you mean, but you have to understand specific words like "play" trigger her to look for a name of a song or artist after that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.