iPhone Siri dictation works in airplane mode now?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by KyleC, Feb 18, 2016.

1. KyleC macrumors member

Dictation is working great for me even when in airplane mode, since when is this the case? I thought everything had to be sent to Apple servers?

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Hasn't it always? Dictation is local on the phone while Siri is on a server.

3. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

What device are you in? My iPad Air 2 with 9.3b3 does not allow for dictation airplane mode.

4. Act3 macrumors 6502a

5. mconk macrumors 6502

mconk

Hmmm... I was under the impression that Siri dictation used the data connection weather Wi-Fi or cellular. I just turned on airplane mode, and was able to successfully speak this using Siri dictation. In the past, I do remember dictation either not working at all or just not working well in areas with limited cellular connectivity and no Wi-Fi… So this is interesting.

6. KyleC thread starter macrumors member

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

At some point they separated Siri from Dictation (as they now have separate controls to enable/disable them), so it's possible as part of that they made Dictation more of a local feature while Siri is still dependent on data to function.

8. BSben macrumors 6502a

I think it only works for US english so far, my 6s plus doesn't let me dictate in Airplane mode (am in the UK).

9. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Planned Obsolesence.

Someone knowledgeable about programming tell me a good reason why the A9 is the only processor that can do airplane dictation.

Bull crap!

And thanks :)

10. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

The iPad Pro must be obsolete then. Because it has an A9 (A9X) but doesn't offer Always On Siri or offline Dictation.

11. Act3 macrumors 6502a

There are no iPads that offer those features. So no it can't be obsolete yet.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Why is everyone calling it Siri Dictation? Its just dictation. Siri is Siri (Hey Siri/Home Button), and dictation is dictation (keyboard). They aren't related.

13. C DM, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe originally dictation was tied to Siri and controlled by the single option of Siri being enabled or disabled, and it wasn't until one of the iOS 8 updates or so that they separated the two.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If thats the case, my bad. I've always had Siri enabled, so I haven't noticed that Siri was required for dictation. I just thought it was weird that its being called Siri Dictation.

15. rjcchan macrumors member

I was in the local Apple store (in USA) today and none of the iPhones would do dictation in airplane mode. The microphone key on the keyboard was greyed out. Is there some trick to this...or did Apple take it away?

16. mconk macrumors 6502

mconk

Still working on a 6s with 9.3.1

17. Act3 macrumors 6502a

still fine here too on my 6s running 9.3.1 with it in airplane mode

18. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Well in Restrictions it's still: "Siri & Dictation" for one setting. Apple hasn't even separated them completely yet.

Some iPhones aren't going to show this feature for some unknown (to me) reason. For instance, my 6S+ doesn't have the ability (it will state it on under the setting toggle if it is available), but my GF's 6S does have it. It may be that over time the phone will download the necessary files, so for a period after a reset it might not be available. Not sure. But it should also work with UK English as well as US English. The MacObserver article has a comment from someone else whose phone doesn't have it, and I've read a comment previously from a UK user who does have it.

19. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

20. Shirasaki, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Might be the root cause?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2016 ---
    And here. I cannot use dictation when airplane mode is on.
    iPhone 6s Plus. iOS 9.3.1.

Tried again. Doesn't work for me. No matter. Not a big deal.

21. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

It works fine for me on iPhone 6s Plus. Offline Dictation is for A9 and A9X devices. Hey Siri without a charger is only on the iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, 6s Plus and 9.7in iPad Pro.

22. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

And a few days later, the notice has now appeared on my 6S+ and it works fine offline.