Siri doesn't know MAJOR Los Angeles street

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Gomali, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Gomali macrumors newbie

I was trying to find a nearby Starbucks on La Cienega Blvd in Los Angeles.

"La Cienega Blvd" is one of the oldest, longest and most famous streets in all of Los Angeles - probably one of LA's top 10 thoroughfares.

Not to Siri apparently!

Attached Files:

• 001.PNG
      001.PNG
      File size:
      50 KB
      Views:
  2. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Might as well enter starbucks and search from there. You could always send a request to Apple. They're working hard on keeping everything up to date!

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Your Siri must be broken. I asked Siri "Starbucks on La Cienega" and it gave me 14 Starbucks that are close to that location.

4. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Me too. Maybe user error? hehe

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Siri is picky about street names. This is something they really need to fix because it looks bad.

For example, I can search for something on "13th street" or "13 street" or "13 st" and get different results each time.

6. Gomali thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, user error.

It's not as if Siri came back with some crazy incorrect spelling. Siri's response spelled both La Cienega Blvd and Los Angeles correctly.

Yea, it is user error - my error for using Siri in the first place.:eek:

7. tateu macrumors 6502

I think it only searches by city or area. If you say "La Cienega Blvd" it searches for an area named "La Cienega Blvd."

The same thing happens if I say "Starbucks on Washington Blvd." It says it can't find Washington Blvd in Los Angeles. But if say "Starbucks in Culver City," it shows me one on Washington Blvd.

It's still a glaring error in my opinion, though.

8. Gomali thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it may search by city or area, but in my case Siri's response said it could not find La Cienega Blvd in Los Angeles

9. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Was able to replicate this... issue. It is odd that Siri spells it right and pronounces it, just can't find it.

10. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Can't give directions to a specific address on La Cienega Blvd., either. Google apps can, of course... /sigh

11. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

12. Gomali thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't spell anything. I spoke the words and Siri responded with that written message so "Blvd" is Siri's abbreviation.

That's what's so puzzling - is the fact that Siri's response had everything correct yet it still said it couldn't find La Cienega Blvd in Los Angeles.

13. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

You have to tell it what city or it won't find it. It should know what city you are in, however its always worked this way (it reminds me of the really poor BMW navigation of the late 2000s where you had to enter what city you were in every time you entered an address).

Attached Files:

14. tateu macrumors 6502

Exactly. It appears to be looking for a city/area/neighborhood called La Cienega Blvd. There is no such city/area/neighborhood in Los Angeles called "La Cienega Blvd" so it says it can't find it.

And you'll note, in your attached screenshot, that it does not show any on La Cienega Blvd. It only shows them in the city/area/neighborhood that you specify, in this case "Los Angeles." Saying "La Cienega Blvd" was completely irrelevant to your search.

15. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Wow, I totally missed that. Granted I don't live in LA. I just tried "Find Starbucks on Adams Avenue" and it worked without me telling it I'm in San Diego. Not sure why it would work here with just the street name but not LA.

16. tensiondeadache macrumors regular

One of Apple Maps maddening limitations.

Last year I was driving west on I-10 passing Ontario and said "drive to 5162 Melrose, Hollywood." It had me get off the 10, drive north, and it was about three minutes before I realized Apple Maps was taking me to Hollywood FLORIDA, 3000 miles the other direction.

Its getting better, I like the integration their putting in with the phone and the OS, but if you need accurate results fast you need to use Google Maps. They have a ton of data now, I was finding places in Tijuana down to a 10 meter margin of error last week...they just need to keep refining and they'll get there.

17. bgro macrumors 6502a

18. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Thankyou for speaking on my behalf!:rolleyes:

I dont use it a lot but when i do, mainly when driving, its been fine.

19. bgro macrumors 6502a

I'm not just speaking on your behalf, I'm speaking on everyone's behalf.

On a serious note, I mainly use Siri to turn on/off my alarm and to call/text while I'm driving. Most of the time, the directions in Maps are ok but often it is infuriating when asking Siri to find something or somewhere. I'm sure it will get better with time but for now it is still very much unusable for alot of people (and very usable for alot of people also)

20. petsounds macrumors 65816

(FAIL) "Find Starbucks on La Cienega Blvd" --> "Couldn't find La Cienega Blvd in LA"

(SUCCESS, sorta) "Find Starbucks on Pico Blvd" --> "I found X Starbucks fairly close to Santa Monica" ...Pico Blvd stretches across LA, so I'm not sure why it chose Santa Monica except that the addresses start from there and go up.

(FAIL) "Find Starbucks on La Brea Blvd" --> "...X of them are fairly close to La Brea Blvd, Savannah, Georgia" ...apparently Georgia is on Siri's mind

(SUCCESS) "Find Starbucks on Hollywood Blvd" --> "I found X places fairly close to Hollywood Blvd"

(SUCCESS, sorta) "Find Starbucks on La Tijera Blvd (couldn't understand me, had to edit)" --> "I found X places on La Tijera Blvd, Ladera Heights"

(FAIL) "Find Starbucks on Vermont Blvd" --> "I found X places a little ways from Vermont Blvd, Elkton, Florida" ...Siri really wants to visit the south I guess

(SUCCESS) "Find Starbucks on Vine Street" --> "I found X places fairly close to Vine Street"

(SUCCESS) "Find Starbucks on Santa Monica Blvd" --> "I found X places fairly close to Santa Monica Blvd"

Those are all major streets in LA, but the results present a pretty underwhelming success rate.

21. protoxx macrumors 6502

protoxx

Fair enough. After all Los Angelenos don't know how to pronounce Rodeo after all. :)

22. bizzle macrumors 6502a

23. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

So change the title of this thread...Siri obviously knows the name of the street and even pronounces and spells it right....the parsing in the software is what is a little whacky here.

I'm starting to use Siri alot more now...especially when traveling. Certainly is faster than typing stuff in...and enough people know about it now and use it that I don't look like a complete tool when using it in public. ;)