Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Weird! I asked Siri to remind me in two and a half months to do such-and-such. She said, "Ok, I'll remind you!" And... the date on the reminder is Jan 2, 2017. Today is June 25, 2016. I have NO idea why this is. I tried another question wherein she tells me what date two and a half months from now is, and she STILL got it wrong. Same wrong answer.

Anyone notice this or similar?

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Weird! I asked Siri to remind me in two and a half months to do such-and-such. She said, "Ok, I'll remind you!" And... the date on the reminder is Jan 2, 2017. Today is June 25, 2016. I have NO idea why this is. I tried another question wherein she tells me what date two and a half months from now is, and she STILL got it wrong. Same wrong answer.

Anyone notice this or similar?

How would you expect a computer to return a specific date from "two and a half months"? What, exactly, is a "half month"?

Reactions: Sirious and Zirel

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
So basically potentially multiple possibilities.
I think by context it's possible to find out. If we are march 1st then one month will be april 1st, or 31 days. 31/2 = 15.5 days, if we round it up it makes 16 days (or if you prefer, just make it 15 if the time is AM or 16 is if it's PM, then it'll be even more precise, but much more complex).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think by context it's possible to find out. If we are march 1st then one month will be april 1st, or 31 days. 31/2 = 15.5 days, if we round it up it makes 16 days (or if you prefer, just make it 15 if the time is AM or 16 is if it's PM, then it'll be even more precise, but much more complex).
So Siri should just guess at what you mean even though you aren't giving an exact day and what Siri might choose might turn out to be different from what you feel it should be?

Last edited:

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
So Siri should just guess at what you mean even though you aren't giving an exact day and what Siri might choose might turn out to be different from what you feel it should be?
Uh... today we're June 25th, so naturally two months is August 25th. From there, September 25th is 31 days so naturally September 10th is 16 days. So Siri will tell you "Two months and a half from now is September 10th". Easy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Uh... today we're June 25th, so naturally two months is August 25th. From there, September 25th is 31 days so naturally September 10th is 16 days. So Siri will tell you "Two months and a half from now is September 10th". Easy.
Or maybe in plenty people's minds it would be the 9th or 11th?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Or maybe in plenty people's minds it would be the 9th or 11th?
Soto should do what it usually does when multiple variables are involved in the response: ask you to clarify, not pick some random arbitrary date, which in this case is wrong.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

Well, I agree with OP, if you give a deliberately vague command to Siri, then she should do it, it's not like Siri is an interface to something super serious like an ICBM command center.

That being said, what's the point of posting here, OP? Apple doesn't read forums, try www.Apple.com/feedback

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
It should definitely be able to predict it.. When it's past midnight and you try to set an alarm like "Wake me up tomorrow at 5"
Siri's response is "Just to be clear, did you mean today or tomorrow"
I guess it could do something similar here..

Reactions: Christoffee

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
While the question is vague, the given answer is not even close.

A bad assumption would be August 15. Month # (6) + 2 = August + 1/2 month (15 days).

Better would be Month +2 @ date = August 25. + 1/2 month (15 days) = September 8. May not be what the OP is looking for, but it would make more sense than what was given.

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
I think your problem is expecting a computer to think like a human. Maybe if you asked her to remind you in 75 days. I find that Siri misinterprets most of the questions I ask her. OTOH, if you are bored it can be fun seeing what ridiculous answer she'll give to odd questions.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
Well, I agree with OP, if you give a deliberately vague command to Siri, then she should do it, it's not like Siri is an interface to something super serious like an ICBM command center.

That being said, what's the point of posting here, OP? Apple doesn't read forums, try www.Apple.com/feedback

Actually, it's a little known fact that the US government has already licensed Siri from Apple. The goal is to heavily integrate her into all of our ICBM command centers.

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
Actually, it's a little known fact that the US government has already licensed Siri from Apple. The goal is to heavily integrate her into all of our ICBM command centers.

General: "Hey, Siri, nuke Moscow."

Siri: "Understood. Nuking Idaho. This order cannot be rescinded."

Oops.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
You're asking Siri to do something after she's dead and gone. This Siri is only here for a short time. Two and a half months from now, it will be a new version of Siri, essentially. So, ummm.... A month after you die, make sure a remind me to feed your dog.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
This thread is full of apologizing for a pretty dumb bug. Seriously, are you all shareholders or something? Like, if the OP was upset that Siri was off by a few days, then you'd be justified in calling it a non-issue. But she's off by several months.

Seriously, enough with the pretentious comedy and sarcastic apologizing for Apple's mistake; this is a Siri bug, not an 'operator error.'

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
This thread is full of apologizing for a pretty dumb bug. Seriously, are you all shareholders or something? Like, if the OP was upset that Siri was off by a few days, then you'd be justified in calling it a non-issue. But she's off by several months.

Seriously, enough with the pretentious comedy and sarcastic apologizing for Apple's mistake; this is a Siri bug, not an 'operator error.'

It's not a bug. It's the total failure of so-called "machine intelligence." It's a miracle that Siri can understand "Open Photos app." I like iOS. I have an iPhone and an iPad and an iPod Touch, and I have no intention of switching to another mobile OS. But Siri is a joke. Good for an occasional laugh or opening apps, and not much else.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not a bug. It's the total failure of so-called "machine intelligence." It's a miracle that Siri can understand "Open Photos app." I like iOS. I have an iPhone and an iPad and an iPod Touch, and I have no intention of switching to another mobile OS. But Siri is a joke. Good for an occasional laugh or opening apps, and not much else.
Also fairly good for many people when it comes to making calls, sending and receiving messages, creating typical reminders or calendar events, and various other similar things.

Reactions: M. Gustave

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
...Siri is a joke. Good for an occasional laugh or opening apps, and not much else.

What's 'good for the occasional laugh' is people posting things like this without even a hint of embarrassment. My friend, people are using Siri successfully for a whole lot more than that, each and every day. So the problem in this case, is 'between the chair and the keyboard', as we used to say back in my support days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.