Siri doesn't open when lifting handset

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by bighabeeb, Oct 17, 2011.

1. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

So I set up siri to open when lifting, however it doesn't work (in or out of case)...anybody else seen this?

Launches fine when pressing and holding the "home" button....

2. BmoreDrumGuy macrumors regular

I don't have siri, so I can't confirm this, but I did read that it only works with the home button pressing, and when put to your ear.

3. malevolant macrumors 6502

Its a combination of the sensor and the accelerometer. Try tilting the phone more at your ear.

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You have to hold the phone at a certain angle and block the proximity sensor for it to trigger. Just put it to your ear like you're having a conversation and it will turn on.

5. bighabeeb thread starter macrumors 6502

That does seem to work - though I think it's likely going to be easier to just hold the home button - thanks for the tip! The position I have to lift it in is far from natural :)

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I find "raise to speak" very temperamental too.

Here is another thread about Siri's faults and I found an apple discussion topic elsewhere about it. We're not the only ones. Amusingly/frustratingly the answer is similar to the iPhone 4's reception problems "you're holding it wrong". Apparently we're "putting it to our ears wrong" :rolleyes:

7. bighabeeb thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one! Coworker of mine and I picked up the phones Friday, and his worked but mine didnt appear to.

Fast forward to today, I mention it and lo and behold apparently he started holding it wrong too ;)

Siri is a lot of fun...I'm not sure how much practical use it'll have, but for giggles its fun to ask things like "What are you wearing", "whats the meaning of life" and "will you marry me" :)

8. malevolant macrumors 6502

9. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I've had a number of problems with the sensor detecting my face to activate Siri. It seems to only detect your face when it feels like it. For me, it works a little less than half of the time.

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

Mine worked ONCE, the first time. I haven't been able to get the 'phone to ear' feature to work since.

edit: I take it back. With the screen on the home screen, I took the advice above and exaggerated the move up to my head, and it worked. Had to be pretty speedy about it.

11. schoff0310 macrumors member

schoff0310

I am having the same problem! all weekend it worked for me, but today not at all. I have to press and hold the home button. GRR:mad:
    At least it's working....all morning network problems......:(