iPhone Siri doesn't seem very clever (UK user)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Dino F, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

I've been testing Siri on my iPhone 5 and some of the questions I have been asking it, there doesn't seem to be a very clever response??!

As a wild example, I asked Siri, 'What is the meaning of life ?' It responded that it wasn't able to answer a question like that!!! I have seen other instances (on the web) where if Siri was asked this same question, it would reply with the answer being '42' ( a nod to The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy).

Also, as I've never had Siri before (coming from an iPhone 4), I thought Siri had a female voice, or is this only for the U.S. users?!!

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

Ask it again, you often get different answers each time for questions like that. Try: tell me a story.

The voice is different for each region, you can select the american female voice in settings if you want but it may find your british accent harder to understand.

3. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Siri is sometimes good...and most of the time not.

I was showing Siri to some people at work yesterday, now most of the time Siri actually works for me...but wow...not last night! Typical, cause you're showing something to people!

As an example, I used the example 'Where is the longest bridge in the world'....Siri thought about it and came up with....well nothing but...nothing! lol!

Male voice for the UK! You can change country in the settings though.

Attached Files:

4. m00min macrumors 6502

I tried Siri once on my 4S.

Me: "remind me to post JJ's Christmas card tomorrow."

Siri's response: The reminder was set for the 25th December (that day's date was something like 3rd Dec).

That was enough of a test for me. Also, I had to shout at the thing, I was in a quiet room, if I was out and about I can imagine yelling till I was red in the face and it still not parsing my request properly. Siri is a gimmick.

5. josh bear macrumors regular

Just moved to an IP5 from 4s, dont know if it is the phone or ios6 but siri seems more accurate. Now using it alot to text. been 100% accurate so far and very useful to text whilst walking.

Things like the weather and dollar exchange rates come up first time as well. Very useful IMHO.

Josh

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Siri in Canada knows everything it should.

Attached Files:

7. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

There's no difference in Siri depending on the hardware used, as everything is dealt with at the server end. All Siri is on the phone itself is an interface, the processing of requests/voice isn't done by the hardware itself.

It's probably just a placebo effect.

8. josh bear macrumors regular

Who knows. Don't mind either way as long as it does the things I want and right now it is.

Best Regards
    josh