Siri doesn't work in a Zip Lock.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 15danielp, Oct 17, 2011.

1. 15danielp macrumors regular

I'm relaxing in the hot tub and decide to ask Siri to set the timer. Works fine. After awhile, I try to ask Siri how much time is left, but before I can finish the question, the screen goes blank.

I tried it several times, asking different questions and giving different directions, but Siri only worked about 15% or the time, or the screen would blank out. When I take it out of the Zip Lock, it works fine.

Now all other functions work fine in the bag. Including making a call. I would think that maybe Siri couldn't hear me right, but the screen would just go blank mid-sentience. That doesn't happen when Siri can't hear you clearly.

It not a big deal as the phone is working fine otherwise. But I find this interesting.

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

She needs to breathe, man!

You're suffocating her. I don't think you'd work to well in a ziploc either :p

3. DerekTS macrumors regular

4. 15danielp thread starter macrumors regular

I was in the hot tub and didn't want to miss a call. Like I said, it's not a big deal, I just thought it was interesting.

5. Justim macrumors 6502

How is this a revelation? You cover up the microphone, and it can't hear you.

6. futch macrumors 6502

futch

7. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Wow taking your phone in the hot tub? Thats time to relax man just like when taking a shower , you need your privacy too lol

8. alucinari macrumors newbie

The problem isn't the microphone, it's the proximity sensor having trouble seeing light through the bag. I've had this issue for a long time (I put my phone in a bag when I go cycling). The phone thinks you're holding it up to your ear so the microphone sensitivity and the speaker volume turn down.

9. 15danielp thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah this makes sense. It's clearly not the microphone. It's nice that the phone works perfectly otherwise.

----------

It's not the microphone. The screen just goes dark. If Siri can't hear you, it waits then says and displays: "I didn't quite get that." Maybe you didn't read my post correctly.

10. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Get a microsim adapter and a phone that's Mil-Spec if you need waterproof. Or a bluetooth cordless phone with a JIS-7 handset.