Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Usually Siri works great on my ATV but at the moment it seems to be down. I have rebooted ATV and still issues with the servers. It’s also not working on my applewatch but it is working on my iPhone. Anyone else?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but I started having some serious issues last night, just before bed. Siri was unable to control my lights. I had to go into the home app and shut the lights off from there. After that the home app wasn't getting any updates from my devices.

This morning I restarted all of my equipment, routers, HomePods, Apple TVs, my iPhone, and my watch. Now everything is working very smoothly. In fact, it's much more responsive than it's been since I upgraded to that new architecture.

Maybe the recent updates they pushed out a couple of days ago tried to fix some of the problems and a full system restart was needed after that. I have three Apple TVs and two HomePods. I had manually applied the updates right after it came out, except for one of the Apple TVs. Perhaps that last device auto-updated at the time my problems started.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but I started having some serious issues last night, just before bed. Siri was unable to control my lights. I had to go into the home app and shut the lights off from there. After that the home app wasn't getting any updates from my devices.

This morning I restarted all of my equipment, routers, HomePods, Apple TVs, my iPhone, and my watch. Now everything is working very smoothly. In fact, it's much more responsive than it's been since I upgraded to that new architecture.

Maybe the recent updates they pushed out a couple of days ago tried to fix some of the problems and a full system restart was needed after that. I have three Apple TVs and two HomePods. I had manually applied the updates right after it came out, except for one of the Apple TVs. Perhaps that last device auto-updated at the time my problems started.
Siri is know working on the appleTV. I did nothing but wait. It was an apple server problem.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Siri is know working on the appleTV. I did nothing but wait. It was an apple server problem.

Not sure how you've concluded that. But, my problem might have not been the same as yours.

For me, when I was having problems, I opened my Home app on my phone and noticed it wasn't getting updates from my lights. I'm convinced this doesn't use Apple servers at all.

16.3 came out this past Monday. Auto updates take a bit of time. Sometimes updates malfunction briefly and resolve themselves without a restart. I have no idea if this is what happened to you.

I'd be interested to hear more from you or anyone else to what extent Apple servers are involved in simple Siri commands used to control lights. The hubs we have are only required if one is trying to control devices from outside of the home. I thought internal access for simple Siri commands are processed on device and don't use Apple servers.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Not sure how you've concluded that. But, my problem might have not been the same as yours.

For me, when I was having problems, I opened my Home app on my phone and noticed it wasn't getting updates from my lights. I'm convinced this doesn't use Apple servers at all.

16.3 came out this past Monday. Auto updates take a bit of time. Sometimes updates malfunction briefly and resolve themselves without a restart. I have no idea if this is what happened to you.

I'd be interested to hear more from you or anyone else to what extent Apple servers are involved in simple Siri commands used to control lights. The hubs we have are only required if one is trying to control devices from outside of the home. I thought internal access for simple Siri commands are processed on device and don't use Apple servers.
iPad and iPhone SIRI worked great but Mac, Applewatch, and appletv did not work. I tried all kinds of commands and nothing worked. Mac worked in a couple of hours, but the watch and appletv was restored later. If this was a problem with my network then iPhone and iPad should not have worked. Also I could stream movies perfectly fine when Siri was down. Siri does need an internet connection to work. Try turning off data on your iPhone and see if Siri works.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
It was not a device issue as SIRI worked great the few days after the update but a networking issue.

Did you manually update your devices on that day or wait for them to update automatically? I'm also curious, did you update to the new HomeKit framework?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Did you manually update your devices on that day or wait for them to update automatically? I'm also curious, did you update to the new HomeKit framework?
I don’t use HomeKit. I upgraded all my devices the same day.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I'd be interested to hear more from you or anyone else to what extent Apple servers are involved in simple Siri commands used to control lights.

Quite a lot it seems. On HomePods:

1. Siri doesn't work without an internet connection.

2. Homekit devices are completely forgotten but a second later remembered

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.