Siri, Facebook...and a locked phone.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by WhySoSerious, Oct 9, 2012.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

So, if the phone is password locked, yet you hold the home button down and ask Siri to post to Facebook/Twitter, you can. Isn't this kinda worrisome?

2. thejadedmonkey, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Sure apple products may not get virus', but that doesn't mean the OS is secure. :/

3. Atomant669 macrumors regular

Shouldn't you have options to do that in settings? Look around.

4. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I just don't want people to pick up my phone and post random things.

5. toad77 macrumors member

Under the Passcode Lock settings, you can control whether to allow access to Siri when the phone is locked. Should ease your worries.

6. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

This for the win.

7. Allegrotechie macrumors member

Allegrotechie

Why so Sirious bro?

8. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Ah, thank you. :eek:

9. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Viruses exist on apple products.... Saying they don't is a gross misunderstanding.

10. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Yes, Mac OS 9 and some older Mac OS versions than that have some viruses, but there aren't any viruses for any versions of iOS or Mac OS X.

----------

It's an option, but it's not enabled by default. It's always funny to take your friend's iPhone, have him just not care because it's locked, then send messages and stuff. That iOS 4.0 bug where you could access contacts and the photo roll gave one of my friends a big scare :D

11. Oridus macrumors 6502a

I'll just leave this here:

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=16086912

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, saying they do represents a gross misunderstanding of the various types of malware or of the facts.
    Despite the inaccurate news media, that isn't a virus. It's a trojan which is easily avoided by practicing safe computing, as described in the link below. There has never been a Mac OS X virus in the wild in the 11 years since its release.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

13. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

GGJstudios is correct.

In my opinion, if a person cannot tell the difference between a virus and a trojan then I'd suggest they not post to threads concerning viruses and trojans.

Also I do not consider any TV news source a good site for accurate computer info. That piece looks like something posted by a low time intern, who when they aren't writing such belch, haunt forums posting about viruses on Apple products. :D

14. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Meh, virus, malware, Trojan, regardless of the name, it's still something that's made with I'll inter, and Mac products are not an exception to the rule in malware or Trojans that people can use to gain access to information that is not theirs. *shrug* if you wanna get down to the nitty on definitions

15. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

It's NOT just a matter of definition. There is a significant difference among these.
    Does it mean that Macs are impervious to issues like this? No.
    But the fact remains that, in practical terms, Macs are a LOT less susceptible to the sorts of malware that permeates the PC realm.

16. Oridus macrumors 6502a

In both realms the real threat is the end user as they're the ones that blindly click, tap, and download. In my 13 years of owning computers, laptops, an smartphones I've never run virus/malware/Trojan sniffers or anything of the sorts because I know better than to download "Adobe photoshop free" from "crackwaresupremesite.com". I've never had issues with computers being infected or my information being stolen.... Because if someone really wanted my info, they would get it past the store bought firewalls and wouldn't be using kiddy scripted software to key log my ****....

Long story short, Mac users are just as susceptible to the crap that most people have troubles with as pc users are....

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What is weird is after having the 4s for a year now, I don't think I knew this either because someone on this forum only recently told me. I don't link to facebook, but they could easily do lots of other things.

And if you all want to talk about virus v malware start another thread. :D