Siri, Facebook...and a locked phone.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
So, if the phone is password locked, yet you hold the home button down and ask Siri to post to Facebook/Twitter, you can. Isn't this kinda worrisome?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Viruses exist on apple products.... Saying they don't is a gross misunderstanding.
Yes, Mac OS 9 and some older Mac OS versions than that have some viruses, but there aren't any viruses for any versions of iOS or Mac OS X.

----------

Shouldn't you have options to do that in settings? Look around.
It's an option, but it's not enabled by default. It's always funny to take your friend's iPhone, have him just not care because it's locked, then send messages and stuff. That iOS 4.0 bug where you could access contacts and the photo roll gave one of my friends a big scare :D

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Yes, Mac OS 9 and some older Mac OS versions than that have some viruses, but there aren't any viruses for any versions of iOS or Mac OS X.

----------

It's an option, but it's not enabled by default. It's always funny to take your friend's iPhone, have him just not care because it's locked, then send messages and stuff. That iOS 4.0 bug where you could access contacts and the photo roll gave one of my friends a big scare :D
I'll just leave this here:

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=16086912

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Viruses exist on apple products.... Saying they don't is a gross misunderstanding.
No, saying they do represents a gross misunderstanding of the various types of malware or of the facts.
Despite the inaccurate news media, that isn't a virus. It's a trojan which is easily avoided by practicing safe computing, as described in the link below. There has never been a Mac OS X virus in the wild in the 11 years since its release.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
GGJstudios is correct.

In my opinion, if a person cannot tell the difference between a virus and a trojan then I'd suggest they not post to threads concerning viruses and trojans.

Also I do not consider any TV news source a good site for accurate computer info. That piece looks like something posted by a low time intern, who when they aren't writing such belch, haunt forums posting about viruses on Apple products. :D

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Meh, virus, malware, Trojan, regardless of the name, it's still something that's made with I'll inter, and Mac products are not an exception to the rule in malware or Trojans that people can use to gain access to information that is not theirs. *shrug* if you wanna get down to the nitty on definitions

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Meh, virus, malware, Trojan, regardless of the name, it's still something that's made with I'll inter, and Mac products are not an exception to the rule in malware or Trojans that people can use to gain access to information that is not theirs. *shrug* if you wanna get down to the nitty on definitions
It's NOT just a matter of definition. There is a significant difference among these.
Does it mean that Macs are impervious to issues like this? No.
But the fact remains that, in practical terms, Macs are a LOT less susceptible to the sorts of malware that permeates the PC realm.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
It's NOT just a matter of definition. There is a significant difference among these.
Does it mean that Macs are impervious to issues like this? No.
But the fact remains that, in practical terms, Macs are a LOT less susceptible to the sorts of malware that permeates the PC realm.
In both realms the real threat is the end user as they're the ones that blindly click, tap, and download. In my 13 years of owning computers, laptops, an smartphones I've never run virus/malware/Trojan sniffers or anything of the sorts because I know better than to download "Adobe photoshop free" from "crackwaresupremesite.com". I've never had issues with computers being infected or my information being stolen.... Because if someone really wanted my info, they would get it past the store bought firewalls and wouldn't be using kiddy scripted software to key log my ****....

Long story short, Mac users are just as susceptible to the crap that most people have troubles with as pc users are....

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Ah, thank you. :eek:
What is weird is after having the 4s for a year now, I don't think I knew this either because someone on this forum only recently told me. I don't link to facebook, but they could easily do lots of other things.

And if you all want to talk about virus v malware start another thread. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.