SIRI false advertising

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bdubroler, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Bdubroler macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Has anyone seen the new iPhone 4S commercial featuring Siri? Specifically the part where the man asks how to tie a tie? I tried this and got stock quotes for titanium the first time and the second time it said it couldn't help me. This seems like false advertising on Apple's part. I'm curious if anyone else has tried and what their results were. Thanks.

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Say "Siri, I need to file a lawsuit".

If it suggests a trip to the Men's Department at Macy's for a nice 3-piece worsted, you should contact an attorney in the conventional way.

4. Bdubroler thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not angry. I just thought Apple would be smarter than that or their legal department would have caught it. I know it's Beta but it's a bad idea to advertise something it can't really do.

5. bhdragon macrumors newbie

mixed results

If I ask Siri "how do you tie a tie?", I am given information on a titanium company. If I ask "how do you tie a bow tie?", it asks if I want to do a web search and after responding "yes", it brings up multiple sites on how to tie a bow tie. It probably means you need to be more specific as in "how do you tie a windsor knot?"

Still beta so should improve over time...

6. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

[​IMG]

relax....beta brah

7. Bdubroler thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure he just asked about a tie and not now tie. I may me wrong though.

8. wellok macrumors 6502

First, you misheard the question from the commercial (it's bow tie), and second, it doesn't show Siri answering the question so it's not representing anything at all.

9. salacious macrumors 6502a

threads like this use to be funny, now im thinking apple has actually created mentally diseased people...

10. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

He specifically asks about how to tie a bow tie. I think that's the determining factor.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What he asks is "How do I tie a Bow Tie again ? "

And it does imply Siri would give an answer and is in my fanboy opinion indeed false advertising.

12. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

You just illustrated the OP's huge fail: the ad did not show someone asking how to tie a "tie." It showed someone asking how to tie a bow tie.

Good luck to the OP on any "false advertising" claims lol.

Michael

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Litigious people were around before Apple. Apple didn't invent everything.

14. ksoze macrumors regular

Chill. The actor specifically says, "How do I tie a bow-tie again?" Could just as easily mean he got the same answer you got and was asking again.

15. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

to be fair, the commercial never showed it giving the man a result so it's not false advertising. It could have someone asking "go to the store and buy me bread".

16. Bdubroler thread starter macrumors newbie

I never meant the post to be taken as a legal issue, I was just curious. I should have posted a different title. (And watched the commercial again.) A lot of hate comes through these posts. I won't waste any more of the cool aid-drinkers time posting again. Adios.

17. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

lol at how defensive everyone is getting haha.

i didn't get from the OP that he's trying to sue or even thinking about it. just making an observation. one that might be wrong cause he didn't say "bow" tie. so be it. but if he was right, i would agree its false advertising... or at least misleading. i don't care that they don't show siri answering, they are implying that siri can handle that. they wouldn't purposefully advertise things siri couldn't do, that wouldn't make sense :rolleyes:

18. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I read Siri your post and the response was "chill out, it's just a commercial on TV"

20. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Geez there are some really rude people on these forums these days. The OP was just making a statement and some of you act like its a crime.

21. salacious macrumors 6502a

some people make statements... some people just talk utter nonsense
    some people say tomatoe..... some people say shut the hell up !!!

22. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Pretty sure he was insinuating criminal activity, as a matter of fact, lol.

23. iEvolution macrumors 65816

LOL, point taken.

24. wellok macrumors 6502

One of Siri's features is the ability to do a Google search for you. I don't think it's false advertising if that's the result of the question given. Now, if they showed "Siri, turn Bluetooth off," then I'd understand where you were coming from.