Siri for iPad 2 on Future iOS Update?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whynotgotovegas, Feb 5, 2012.

1. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

I'm surprised I haven't seen any other forum posts about this. I have an iPad 2 and ever since my mom has gotten her iPhone 4S I have been in love with Siri. I knew I would like it, from seeing YouTube videos, but I never knew I would like it that much. I am an avid user of iCloud and syncing my calendar online via iCloud (dropped Google calendar to use iCloud). It would be so much easier, even on my iPad, if I could use Siri to input these appointments and reminders and such. Do you guys ever see Apple bringing Siri to the iPad 2? I know it will most likely be released on the iPad 3 (or 2S, whatever they call it). I want to know what everyone else's thoughts are on this. I was super surprised when I didn't see any other forum threads about this.

Thanks! :)
    :apple:

2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Actually there was a recent post about siri dictation feature in 5.1 b3 and if that happens when siri is out of beta we might actually see siri on iPads and previous iPhones :D:D:D:cool:

3. mikepro macrumors 6502

Doubtful. See article about the noise cancellation chip being integrated into the A5 processor for iPhone 4S. It might not work well enough for Apple without that, so they may never allow it on older devices.

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

If you jailbreak you can install Siri now, but IDK how well it works.

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

There are some bugs for Spire (the Siri for jailbroken devices) on the iPad.
    I'm crossing my fingers on this. Hopefully, once Siri gets out of beta, all A4/A5 iDevices will have Siri.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I use siri mainly to quickly access contact numbers, set alarms, send messages and the like on my phone. Can't imagine doing the same on the ipad.

Also, I plan to pair my ipad (holding out for the ipad3 or 2s or whatever it will be called) with a bluetooth keyboard, so I don't see myself needing a dictation feature that misinterprets half the words I say...:p

7. whynotgotovegas thread starter macrumors member

True, however currently I replaced my computer with my iPad, so using the Siri dictation feature would be awesome for quick little things. I have a bluetooth keyboard for when I need to type a lot, however. But Siri would be awesome because I use my iPad to remind me when tv shows are, and if I'm playing Xbox and I know that a tv show comes on in 20 minutes I could just tell Siri to remind me to get off Xbox in 15 minutes or something similar to that. I plan to get the next iPhone anyway because my contract is up in March, so it's really no big deal if the iPad 2 doesn't get siri. It would be very nice though!

----------

I don't see why Apple couldn't impliment that with just the regular mic in the current iPad. It would be stupid for Apple to put a second mic on the iPad 3/2s for just Siri. I think right now the only reason that Siri isn't on the iPhone 4 is because Siri is a major selling point for the 4s. I don't see why they don't put it in the iPad 2 though. *sigh*

8. Cheebo macrumors member

Well, it'll also be a selling point of iPad 3 over iPad 2 and iPad 3 will be out most likely next month.

9. whynotgotovegas thread starter macrumors member

I'm hoping Apple will just release it on all a5+ devices. If they don't, it's not the end of the world. I will most likely be getting the next iPhone that comes out and if I set a cal. app. on the iPhone it will automatically transfer to my iPad because of iCloud. But like I said, Siri dictation on the iPad would be nice! :)

10. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Isn't the A5 processor already in the ipad2? If it is the same as the A5 that is in the iPhone4S then the argument about the noise cancellation chip being the reason is null and void.