Siri for texting? Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MadGoat, Oct 16, 2011.

1. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

If you're using Siri to text ... Why not just make a phone call instead?

Are we getting that detached from hearing a human voice on the phone?

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Good for driving, that way you keep your eyes on the road. Some people prefer texting because it is quick and gets to the point. No chance of your girlfriend/wife/lonely buddy talking your ear off when all you wanted to do was tell them one thing.

Also, texting is good when you want to convey a message but the person isn't answering or is out of range temporarily. People read texts quicker than they listen to voicemails.

I sent a few texts with Siri already and I must say I am impressed. I think I will always text this way, especially if I have a long message. It sure beats typing, and I think sometimes beats conversation too.

3. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Because maybe someone sent you a text and you need to reply?

Just today my cousin texted me to ask if I had already arrived somewhere and all I needed to say was "Yes I just got here"...why would I make a call to say 5 words?

4. simsarah macrumors newbie

Well, full disclosure, I'm not yet using Siri to do anything at all, but there's plenty of vitriol on that topic over at the AT&T pre-order thread...

I can see the utility to dictating texts though, sometimes all you want to do is shoot out a quick burst of information rather than start a conversation. Perhaps you're driving a car (I remember what that was, I think... NYC has spoiled me) and the friend you're meeting for dinner texts to say that they are stuck at work, and could you meet them an hour later. You don't really want to have a whole conversation about it while driving the car, you just want to acknowledge the text message. WITHOUT fumbling around texting while driving. Telling Siri to text your friend, "sure" or "I'll save you some dessert." is a pretty good solution.

5. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

I actually used it today while riding my bike using my Bluetooth headset. It didn't 100% understand everything I said because of the wind, but I heard everything it read back to me. Perfect!

6. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Yeah. It's so cops think you're actually paying attention to the road.

7. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Let's see, brushing teeth, looking for something on the computer, cooking breakfast, something that needs both hands, but can spare the one finger. You'll catch yourself using alot more than you think.

8. SoonerFan303 macrumors member

Maybe the other party is in a meeting or cannot talk on the phone? Sometimes you just have something quick and simple to say and making a phone call is pointless for that. Lots of valid reasons really. I do see your point about how detached people are getting though.

9. shortys408 macrumors regular

was at a tailgate on saturday. I had a beer in one hand, and my phone in the other, I was able to text a friend to find where he was without the use of both hands. Siri FTW.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Eventually all the Siris will just talk to each other, leaving us out of it completely. Thus will begin the fulfillment of the Skynet prophecy.

11. zachimal macrumors member

"I know now why you cry, but it's something I can never do."

12. gloryunited macrumors 6502

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sorry it is NOT good for driving.
    You should not be txting and driving (voice txting or not) end of story.

As for good reasons some times on party is in an area that they can not talk in the phone from or good for a quick message.

14. johna1234 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

+1 for driving. I'm in ny and cops are relentless with giving out cell phone tix. Siri is perfect for that

15. Lya macrumors member

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

^^ this and really for me, I often use email or text to confirm details in print vs just via phone/voice. No mistaking clarity when it's in print.

IE...." so just to confirm, we will meet at McD's at 11:30am today. Thanks! "

17. james92se macrumors 6502a

What I find a little odd is that Siri will only read new unread messages. That's fine I guess, however, when you go to activate Siri, your new unread messages are already right there on your screen and, unless you SPECIFICALLY make a point to NOT look at the screen, you've already read (whether you intended to or not) the message as it's nearly impossible to look at text and NOT read it.

Anybody notice this? It's almost as if you'd have to turn off the message preview setting to make this function useful.

18. det2004 macrumors 6502

Unless you ae driving and you activate Siri with a Bluetooth headset or Apple headphones.

Works great. :cool: