Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Siri has been updated with additional sports information, allowing the personal assistant to provide details about a range of tennis and golf events. Siri's new knowledge has been introduced just ahead of the Australian Open, which is set to kick off this weekend, and it joins other sports data Siri offers for baseball, basketball, hockey, and football.

As noted by 9to5Mac, Siri can provide information on both upcoming tournaments and past events from recent years, along with details on player backgrounds and statistics.

sirigolftennis.jpg

For tennis, the personal assistant can answer queries about the ATP world tour and the Women's Tennis Association, offering up data from 2016-2018. For golf, Siri can provide details about men and women's PGA and LGPA tours.

The new golf and tennis data available from Siri is accessible on iOS devices running the latest version of iOS, and it is also available on Macs, the Apple TV, and the Apple Watch.

Article Link: Siri Gains Info About Tennis and Golf Tournaments Ahead of Australian Open

MhzDoesMatter

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
At this point I think Apple is just trolling us. Of all the things they can add or cause to be work better and we get Tennis?

I think this is what we get because this is what works. Apple knows how to update Siri for particular events and subjects. What they haven't been able to get right yet is almost everything else. /hyperbole

“Hey Siri, tell me about the PGA Tour”
“Ok, your bathroom light is now off”

I hate how how much I identified with this. And how much I laughed.

Reactions: MH01 and Avieshek

rmcq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
I was surprised a few weeks ago when I asked Siri "How's Australia going in Perth?" and she gave me the Aust vs England Test Cricket scores, as I expected.

Problem with Siri is that although it understands natural language often very well, it's just too random, so it's too hard to remember when it will work and when it won't.

I just think Apple have bitten off too much with Siri. Questions like the above lead you to think you could say something like "What happened in the last Big Bash game?", but it just doesn't work.

Asking "How did the Melbourne Stars go in their last game?" gives the answer "The Stars beat the Oilers by a score of 5 to 1 last Sunday". I have no idea what the hell that means.

Reactions: PeLaNo

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
It probably is obvious to Apple internally that at some point they will have to build a search engine that can identify best answers in the same way Google does. They don’t need to have a better search engine than Google - they just need one so it can address so many more pieces of knowledge. The current pace is too slow.
[doublepost=1515638651][/doublepost]
Tennis and Golf are more popular worldwide than baseball and American football
Golf?

Reactions: PeLaNo and 0008652

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It probably is obvious to Apple internally that at some point they will have to build a search engine that can identify best answers in the same way Google does. They don’t need to have a better search engine than Google - they just need one so it can address so many more pieces of knowledge. The current pace is too slow.
[doublepost=1515638651][/doublepost]
Golf?
Yes, golf is very popular world wide.

Reactions: blake2

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I doubted this and then... well, I’ll just let Siri speak for herself...

As the poster you replied to said, the test cricket matches happened in Perth a few weeks ago. So your request wouldn't make sense because there's no longer anything happening in Perth. Though I'm certainly not arguing in general for Siri's comprehension abilities.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Anyone else dreaming of opening WWDC or the next major event with a line like ’Good morning! We have a special guest with us today!’

-Good morning Tim (voice of Siri talks)
I'm happy to be here and will keep up with your presentation and jump in on occasion.

And then they present an educated and grown up Siri with actual understanding, intelligence and proactive skillset.

This trickle of some features working sometimes in some countries is just ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.