Siri Gains Info About Tennis and Golf Tournaments Ahead of Australian Open

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Siri has been updated with additional sports information, allowing the personal assistant to provide details about a range of tennis and golf events. Siri's new knowledge has been introduced just ahead of the Australian Open, which is set to kick off this weekend, and it joins other sports data Siri offers for baseball, basketball, hockey, and football.

As noted by 9to5Mac, Siri can provide information on both upcoming tournaments and past events from recent years, along with details on player backgrounds and statistics.

For tennis, the personal assistant can answer queries about the ATP world tour and the Women's Tennis Association, offering up data from 2016-2018. For golf, Siri can provide details about men and women's PGA and LGPA tours.

The new golf and tennis data available from Siri is accessible on iOS devices running the latest version of iOS, and it is also available on Macs, the Apple TV, and the Apple Watch.

Article Link: Siri Gains Info About Tennis and Golf Tournaments Ahead of Australian Open
  2. crichton007 macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2018
    UT, USA
    At this point I think Apple is just trolling us. Of all the things they can add or cause to be work better and we get Tennis?
  3. nsimpson94 macrumors regular

Sep 20, 2012
    United Kingdom
    “Hey Siri, tell me about the PGA Tour”
    “Ok, your bathroom light is now off”
  4. Rogifan macrumors P6

Nov 14, 2011
    Wow finally Apple realizes there are golf and tennis fans. Yea.
  5. kwissylawrencek macrumors member

Nov 7, 2007
    And still no AFL (Australian Rules Football)
  6. 69Mustang macrumors 603

Jan 7, 2014
    In between a rock and a hard place
    You need Google Assistant for that.

Go Bulldogs!
  7. rmcq macrumors newbie

Jul 15, 2009
    Indeed. Second biggest sport in the world* and Siri thinks you’re talking about some second-rate gridiron competition.

*based on average game attendance...

8. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Jul 28, 2012
    Apple can’t just keep adding these skills one by one. Siri needs to have a better search engine and knowledge base for things in general.
  9. MhzDoesMatter macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    I think this is what we get because this is what works. Apple knows how to update Siri for particular events and subjects. What they haven't been able to get right yet is almost everything else. /hyperbole

I hate how how much I identified with this. And how much I laughed.
  10. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Dec 23, 2010
    London, UK
    And Golf, don't forget... :p
  11. Vasilioskn macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2010
    New York
    Sorry, still have Siri disabled. She is horrible
  12. dannyyankou macrumors 604

Mar 2, 2012
    Tennis and Golf are more popular worldwide than baseball and American football
  13. radiology macrumors 6502

Feb 11, 2014
    Westlake, OH
    That great news. Now, where are the rumors about new MacBook pros predicted by MCK?
  14. rmcq macrumors newbie

Jul 15, 2009
    I was surprised a few weeks ago when I asked Siri "How's Australia going in Perth?" and she gave me the Aust vs England Test Cricket scores, as I expected.

Problem with Siri is that although it understands natural language often very well, it's just too random, so it's too hard to remember when it will work and when it won't.

I just think Apple have bitten off too much with Siri. Questions like the above lead you to think you could say something like "What happened in the last Big Bash game?", but it just doesn't work.

Asking "How did the Melbourne Stars go in their last game?" gives the answer "The Stars beat the Oilers by a score of 5 to 1 last Sunday". I have no idea what the hell that means.
  15. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Hockey. Dallas vs Edmonton, to be specific.
  16. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Apr 26, 2005
    I doubted this and then... well, I’ll just let Siri speak for herself...

17. vista.john macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2008
    Siri is so disappointing these days. I've so used to Alexa and Google now...
  18. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2005
    It probably is obvious to Apple internally that at some point they will have to build a search engine that can identify best answers in the same way Google does. They don’t need to have a better search engine than Google - they just need one so it can address so many more pieces of knowledge. The current pace is too slow.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018 ---
  19. macsba macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2015
    Next to my Mac.
    Go Demons!
  20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes, golf is very popular world wide.
  21. dannyyankou macrumors 604

Mar 2, 2012
    Yes, believe it or not. Baseball is really only popular in the US, Japan, and some countries. And American football is only popular in, well, America.
  22. petsounds macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2007
    As the poster you replied to said, the test cricket matches happened in Perth a few weeks ago. So your request wouldn't make sense because there's no longer anything happening in Perth. Though I'm certainly not arguing in general for Siri's comprehension abilities.
  23. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2010
    New Zealand
    How boring is tennis and golf.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018 ---
    Golf is not popular world wide
  24. twinlight macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2016
    Anyone else dreaming of opening WWDC or the next major event with a line like ’Good morning! We have a special guest with us today!’

-Good morning Tim (voice of Siri talks)
    I'm happy to be here and will keep up with your presentation and jump in on occasion.

And then they present an educated and grown up Siri with actual understanding, intelligence and proactive skillset.

This trickle of some features working sometimes in some countries is just ridiculous.
  25. MH01 Suspended

Feb 11, 2008
    Based on what ? The criteria is very important here . Table tennis is also very popular, so is field hockey etc etc