Siri Has Stopped Understanding Me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laisha, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Laisha macrumors member

Laisha

I bought this iPhone 6 on October 2, and until a couple of days ago, Siri and I got along just fine!

But suddenly, he doesn't understand me. At all! He knows when I call his name, but no matter what I say, he doesn't understand.

I called Apple, and the lady walked me through resetting it. No help at all.

I could call her back, but I don't want to sit on hold for a billion years again if I can find the answer elsewhere, preferably here, among knowledgeable people.

Anyone?

2. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

What do you mean? Can you use the dictation button on the keyboard and have it transcribe text? Did you verify your microphone is working my making a video and playing it back with sound?

3. Laisha thread starter macrumors member

Laisha

Voice memo works. Phone calls work.

But video plays my voice very, very softly.

And Dictation doesn't work, exactly. The little graph that shows noise it picked up is working, but no dictation gets written.

4. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

That happened to me on my 6s and my 6s plus. Reboot a few times, enable and disable Siri a few. I don't know exactly what it was that fixed it but I've had it and fixed it many times.

5. Laisha thread starter macrumors member

Laisha

That's hopeful.

By reboot, you mean simply turn off and on? Or the Power button + the Home button?

6. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

The second one.

7. mjschabow macrumors 65816

Sometimes in relationships it feels like your significant other doesn't understand you. In these cases it's best to step back and analyze the way you communicate.

8. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

One of the three microphones may have gone out. This commonly happens after a drop. It is very hard to test this. Take it to the Apple store. You may need a replacement phone.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Just a though but are speaking normally to Siri. I had a friend who was having problems like you and out of frustration he was talking in an impatient voice. Make sure you just talk normally. Just a thought.

If that is not working sounds like a hardware problem as Siri works so well for me, greatly improved!

10. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

No its not a broken microphone. Just use the phone normally, reboot a few times a day, and eventually it works. This has been how I fixed it every time. He also said above he can make voice recordings, so his mic works.

11. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

Voice recordings work with any of the three mics. Siri uses only one mic and it sounds like that mic has an intermittent hardware connection issue. Common after a drop.

12. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

It's happened to me multiple times before though. If it's a new phone or recently restored, it probably a software thing. A few reboots and time seem to fix it. I would believe you if this still isn't resolved though.

OP has this been fixed or is it still happening?

13. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

By any chance, are you on the iOS 9.2 beta? I am and I'm having Siri bugs also.

14. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

He posted this before 9.2 came out so I don't think so.

15. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

He posted it yesterday at 7:33pm, the public beta was released yesterday at 1pm.

16. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Oh didn't realize that. I'm guessing he isn't though.

17. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Anyway, he said "until a couple days ago", so it could've only been the developer beta and not the public beta, so that's probably not the case.

18. sergioandorra macrumors newbie

Did it work for you¿? I'am having the same problem since 3 days.... And nothing seems to be working... :S And as my iphone is jailbroken, i don't wanna go to an apple store.

19. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

Clean out the receiver on your phone. Siri utilizes the front microphone that is in the receiver area on the phone. some times dirt can get in that area and block the front mic.

20. vincecasty macrumors newbie

vincecasty

--- Post Merged, May 10, 2017 ---
    same situation, what to do?

21. Laisha thread starter macrumors member

Laisha

Nothing mentioned here worked.

I've stopped trying. I can get a free upgrade phone in 2 months, and I'll just wait. :-(
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2017 ---
    Not a huge deal -- at least here on a forum -- but I'm a she. :)

22. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Not much you can do as it is not a hardware problem it is a Siri problem. I and many others had the same problem for a few days and then all of a sudden it starts working again.

Just give it a few days and Siri will be back.