"Siri" Home Assistant "All-in-One" Multimedia Router/Hub?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 32828870, Nov 21, 2016.

1. 32828870 Suspended

Apple cuts another product line (routers). I posted my "concerns", especially after leaving the display market and Mac neglect. Once I calmed down bit lol, I thought perhaps there is an explanation. Follow my ADHD thought process :p:

"Siri" Home Assistant "All-in-One" Multimedia Router/Hub:
    Spurred by Amazon's success with the Echo and Google's recent entry with rumors Apple is entering into this market, perhaps Apple is developing a "Siri" based home assistant hub. An "All-in-one" device bridging home automation, router, AirPlay support, iTunes and multimedia support, streaming, "Siri", etc.

Mac's and iOS devices support AirDrop's ad-hoc service although access points (routers) will always be necessary, maybe this is a step in bridging products and services.

Thoughts?

2. iAVERY macrumors member

I would love this! I currently have an express and airport tc with an apple tv and an amazon echo. having all of this in one product would be very intuitive. Much rather have everything first party!

3. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

That was my thoughts too, hope they do it!

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Too late. Apple missed those boats by a mile. Which is rather inexcusable, seeing theyhad all the components and only lacked the vision and creativity to make an Apple Echo or Home.

Apple even missed the boat with easy to use mesh network routing, and is even behind the curve with home internet of things stuff. It's obvious they don't care, and they may be right, as it's hard to compete there. Tons of routing solutions were better than Apple's, and they have little control over the hardware so it just didn't make sense, unless they could have been first in line, like with the Echo. But even that isn't a router.

And sticking routing together with AppleTV? please no. The trend is to smaller single use devices, like Roku sticks, Chromecasts, etc. Not some bloated box that does many things poorly.