Siri improvement idea...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Antidoll, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Antidoll macrumors regular

I was just thinking about a way to help Siri understand us better... I'm sure there are a lot of different accents/ways to say things & maybe Apple should include some sort of app where you can enter the word and pronounce it and the app transfers the info to Siri to let it know how you pronounce that particular word...

I hope that made sense lol

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I'm actually kind of happy that Siri mainly understands only proper language pronunciation and forces people who want to use Siri to re-learn the proper language they should have a learned long time ago as kids...

3. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

lol that's kind of silly... just because people pronounce things differently doesn't mean they're not speaking a 'proper' language..

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Accents are bad habits that get in the way of good communication make it harder for others to understand one another... which is why it's good that Siri forces people to re-learn proper language pronunciation and is better for all of society :D

5. bls8195 macrumors newbie

I know how to use proper english, I sometimes however use some slang, and in fact Siri picks all slang up or at least the one on my iphone 4s does.

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

What you dont like the southern accent?

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

OP, sounds like a good idea for me. Perhaps Apple could come up with a monologue that the user could read, Siri knows what the user is "supposed" to be saying and by listening to the accent that would help with pronunciations.

Dialect differences are a little different, but those should be something that Apple can handle without one-on-one training (e.g. Siri can learn one-on-one that a particular user means "Grinder" when they say "GRINE-dah" - that's an accent - but she should already know that when the user asks where they can get a "Grinder", they are looking for a sandwich - that's a dialect).

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Spot on, and I couldn't agree more. You want to be taken seriously in this world? Learn how to use proper English and stop talking like an idiot.

I'll answer that. Because I've grown up around it and frankly, I hate rednecks, hicks, or whatever else you want to call us southerners. I'm one of them, so I can say this. As a whole, there's no single accent I've ever heard that makes you sound less-educated than a THICK southern accent. I'm not saying you need to rid yourself of your roots...but walk into a job interview in New York and start talking like a complete hick and see how fast you DON'T get the job.

The real problem with a southern accent isn't that it makes you SOUND uneducated...it's that, in general, it means you've chosen to BE uneducated. Anyone can learn, but I've found that southerners are less apt to even try. "It was gud enuff fer me grandpappy...so it's gud enuff fer me!" That's the general attitude. Blast me if you like, but come take a trip with me to Eastern Kentucky, into the mountains, and I think you'll change your tune. You want to know why you're poor and every male in your family dies of black lung? It's because you settle for working in a God-awful coal mine (like yer grandpappy did) instead of educating yourself and getting the hell out of there.

/rant

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Guessing you've never been to England. EVERY American has an accent according to the British, and they don't discriminate between southern accents, NY accents, etc...we all sound like idiots to them. And since they invented "proper English", they get to decide what proper English is, and most Americans definitely do not speak it.

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Have you? The difference between a Long Island accent and, say, New Orleans hardly sounds like a difference at all when compared to London vs. Liverpool (much less Aberdeen).

11. b24pgg macrumors 65816

This is narrow minded. What about people with foreign sounding names?

The command "Call _____" fails massively on Siri for many of my contacts with non-Western names.

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Contacts can be given phonetic names in addition to their proper-spelled name to compensate for this.

13. elfy macrumors 6502

Eh...no. Accents and use of language are two very different things.

I certainly don't think Americans sound like it idiots. Lots of them may say things which make them sound like idiots, but it's nothing to do with their accents. ;)

14. b24pgg macrumors 65816

How do you do this?

15. knoxtown macrumors 6502

Contact - Edit - Add Field - Phonetic First Name.

16. OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

too much work and takes away from the amazingness of Siri, in which she learns over time.

as they said, she knows.

17. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

18. xdbuix macrumors 6502

i was hoping siri could control settings like bluetooth, like turning it on and off, except it isnt implemented yet.