Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kissmo

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
If I change the App Store country to US then of course I can enable Siri - which is cool.

But my biggest concern is - if the TV will update the previously purchased apps from EU Store or do I have to switch back to EU store every now and then to enable check for updates?

Second - It makes no sense from Apple to use the excuse that people pronounce differently Movie Titles or Actor's Names.

Siri is working on iPhones and iPads. How on Earth this is not an issue on other devices????
I can simply ask Siri on iPhone to search for Mathew Mcconaughey. So this is an issue on TV but on iPhone is working fine.... Anyway....

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
google it, it's been covered many times.
you logout, change region, log back in.
Siri enabled and your iTunes accounts remain in your country.
Siri will be avaialbe only in the languages supported

(I'm in Denmark, English Siri, works fine)

kissmo

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
google it, it's been covered many times.
you logout, change region, log back in.
Siri enabled and your iTunes accounts remain in your country.
Siri will be avaialbe only in the languages supported

(I'm in Denmark, English Siri, works fine)
Thanks dan1eln1el5en.

I know how to enable it - that's not the problem.
I just don't know if apps will update automatically when I switch to US store. That is my actual question and I couldn't find anything on Google.

Thanks for clarifying :)

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I know how this works on the iPhone but am not sure it would be the same on the aTV.

On the iPhone, if you have apps from stores A and B and are logged into store A, when there's and update for an app from store B you get a pop-up asking to enter your password for that store, without switching you to it.

Reactions: kissmo

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
I'm from Argentina and I have two Apple IDs. A local one which is my main ID that I use for iCloud and iTunes/App Stores, and US Account that I keep for testing purposes. I have both set up on my new Apple TV, and indeed when I select the US account, Siri comes up and works perfectly (albeit only in english). Switching back to my main account disables Siri.

The App Store works exactly like it does on iOS.

kissmo

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I'm from Argentina and I have two Apple IDs. A local one which is my main ID that I use for iCloud and iTunes/App Stores, and US Account that I keep for testing purposes. I have both set up on my new Apple TV, and indeed when I select the US account, Siri comes up and works perfectly (albeit only in english). Switching back to my main account disables Siri.

The App Store works exactly like it does on iOS.
But how do apps update?
Let's say you are on US Store and there is an update for an APP which you bought on Argentina App Store.
Does the app update automatically or it requires you to switch the store?

Sorry - I am a little confused with this. Maybe I am getting old....

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
Well, there's hasn't been any updates for the app I downloaded so far, so I haven't tested it yet. I assume you'll have to switch stores in order to update them.

Reactions: kissmo

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
The thing is, in order to have Siri enabled, I have to set my US iTunes account as default, which disables Apple Music.
That's the thing! On new tvOS, the location and your iTunes Store account go hand-in hand. I can log in with my local store account, where I have my music, as soon as I change Location to US (where I can have Siri), I am logged out from the store.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
please see the link I posted to reddit, it enables Siri without changing your iTunes account country (!)
Does the Siri find the contents of your native store or the store it got stuck in? I once managed to fiddle my Siri into similar state, but then I only got empty results from her. She was as if blindfolded.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
please see the link I posted to reddit, it enables Siri without changing your iTunes account country (!)
I think this is due to a bug and most likely will be closed, so don't base your purchase decision on this bug. Apple have clearely stated that they don't want to have Siri enabled in other countries due to accents.

Last edited:

kissmo

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I think this is due to a bug and most likely will be closed, so don't base your purchase decision on this bug. Apple have clearely stated that they don't want to have Siri enabled in other countries due to accents.

Yeah probably will happen what you say eventually.

But still - why does it work on iPhone????

You can always search for movie titles or names of Actors on iPhone.

Either way, after enabling SIRI on aTV I realised I don't really use it that often except to check the weather forecast.
SO I turned back and leave it as it is.
Maybe when Apple will allow apps like Plex to do searches then I would come back to it. I have my own library of Movies.
Netflix, HBO NOW and other services are not available in Eastern Europe anyway....

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
I don't think it's a big, I think it's to avoid "regular" folks to enable something which is not enabled in their own language or in advertisement writing "With siri" in Denmark, but Danish not supported (only English) then Apple would be faced with "false advertisement"

Why it's even more not a bug: this is basically the only way to test the feature when developing apps with search API in a country without Siri support... why hinder your developers in using Siri, when it's a key feature in major countries

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
As of tvOS 9.1 it most def does not work. At least for me. As soon as I sign in to AppStore with my AppleID, Location will be back on Estonia.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
logout - change location - enable siri - login
then location is changed but Siri is enabled.

Are the instruction unclear ? I'm always running latest OS and still no issues in Denmark, English Siri, danish location, danish account, English system language.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
logout - change location - enable siri - login
then location is changed but Siri is enabled.

Are the instruction unclear ? I'm always running latest OS and still no issues in Denmark, English Siri, danish location, danish account, English system language.
Nope. The instructions are clear. But whenever I log on with my EE account, my aTV changes the location to EE. It does not stick to US where I could use Siri. Tried also with UK - same result. As soon as I log in to AppStore with my EE account, the location changes to EE as well.
Oh, and when I start out from my EE account, I change the location to US, I am seemingly logged out, as my Apple ID clears out. Shall I somehow specifically log out from current iTunes store?

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Apple have clearely stated that they don't want to have Siri enabled in other countries due to accents.

I think they might update Siri for more countries fairly soon so it might not be a priority to change this quirk for those that have found it.

Rather than accents, the issue is more pronunciation of stars' names. Siri works with my accent on IOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.