Siri In The UK.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bodycalming, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Bodycalming macrumors member

Bodycalming

With the many accents in the UK, and the lack of location information:mad:, I was wondering. How is Siri working for you? Do you have any tips on how to get the best from Siri? Does Siri make you:) or does Siri make you:mad:?

2. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Its good and bad for me. At times will send a complete text message fine. Other times get it completely wrong. I don't speak the clearest myself which doesn't help but I don't want to change how i speak to it for it to work (end up sounding like a robot or something!)

3. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Setting alarms seem to work every time, asking the time as well. The same can't be said for the other things I try. Having a nightmare with it to be honest.

4. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Mixed results.

Tried sending a birthday text three time this morning via Siri and realised on the third attempt that it had heard me right but was just speaking some words back in a bizarre way that made it sound like it wasn't dictating me correctly.

Think it'll be better when we get the added functionality like the US has.

Being able to dictate a quick text or get Siri to call somebody while I'm walking to work is very useful so I'm perservering.

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Do you guys use the UK voice or the US voice?

6. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

7. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Not a big fan of the male voice but the US setting doesn't seem to understand me!

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It doesn't understand my Black Country accent. I had a go with Siri on a mate's new 4S and asked "what's today's weather like?"

Siri responded by phoning someone called Phil from his contacts. :D

9. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Think I was having the same issue. Having to speak more correctly... not a bad thing. :-s

It's understanding simple stuff most of the time now though.

10. bryanjc macrumors regular

Put in the drawer, along with Facetime another novelty i will never use.
    Love my iPhone though.

11. psonice macrumors 6502a

I've been using it quite a lot, mostly for setting reminders and alarms, checking the weather and so on. It's got things wrong now and then, but it's supposed to learn so I guess it'll improve, and even if it goes wrong and I have to correct it's still quicker than typing.

12. DisneySMAX macrumors member

I use the Australian voice here in the UK. It is the only one that gets my family surname right. The UK voice leaves out the X in my name.

I find the Aussie voice understands me and I prefer it as it sounds a lot more natural than the others too.

13. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Don't have an iPhone 4S yet but can anyone tell me how well Siri picks up fast talking?

14. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

It's similar to the US one, but a bit more natural. The US one failed to get 1/4 of the words right here and the UK one worked better, but not a lot. The Aussie one works pretty well, but is farfrom perfect, but I'll persevere in the hope that it will "learn" from our input.

I'd love if some people were selected to help train Siri to understand better - say certain phrases and then be able to correct Siri's interpretation of them as I find simple words are often being totally misunderstood.

15. Bodycalming thread starter macrumors member

Bodycalming

People have been selected to train Siri, you, me and all the Siri users. Here is an example. Tonight I have friends over for dinner, so I asked them via Siri. Do you all like cauliflower? Siri wrote: Do you all like Koly flower. On the my second attempt to say cauliflower I emphasised cauliflower, Siri got it absolutely correct.

16. PaulyD macrumors 6502

US Voice was a nightmare for me, not a chance it understood - was like it didn't understand English at all :D

Austrailian seems better and I prefer the females voice over the UK male one.

As said above it does fine on the simple stuff like weather, setting alarms etc. Just seems the longer or more complicated stuff it gets wrong.

I will continue with it as well though and hope it does improve in time. I can see it being extremely handy and will be even better once i get some headphones with a mic on them

17. rssfed23 macrumors member

If Apple were smart, they'd do this automatically when the phone sends back diagnostic information (when available) - they should then be able to have many samples of voices and miss-heard words, as well as all the "learn" data that Siri has gathered over time

18. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

I had a bit of trouble texting my Mum, Siri kept thinking I said 'mom' :mad:

To be fair though I don't think I speak clearly at times.