Siri interprets some queries differently when using "Hey Siri"

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by gordon1234, Sep 11, 2014.

1. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

I've noticed that when using the new "Hey Siri" mode to activate Siri by voice, Siri seems to respond differently to certain queries than when I simply hold the home button.

For instance, If I ask Siri "When does <name of local business> close?" it normally responds with the business's hours for the current day. However, if I ask this exact same question phrased exactly the same way when Siri is activated by voice, it instead simply returns the location of the business on a map.

The key seems to be that any query initiated by voice includes "hey siri" in the query string. In theory this shouldn't make any difference, but somehow it seems to mess with Siri's interpretation. If I manually edit the string to remove "hey siri" it correctly returns the hours.

Weird, and rather annoying…

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Very interesting. For me, I have to say the sentence after I hear the beep after saying Hey Siri; so I never get "Hey Siri, when does Staples close?" but "Hey Siri"… "beep"… "when does staples close?"

3. gordon1234 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, me too, but it still prepends "hey siri" to the text transcript, regardless of how long you wait after saying it.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Hmm, doesn't do that for me… will try again when I have my charger on me. Would have been so nice if I didn't need to connect it to power source to use it.

5. gordon1234 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you could take a little video of it NOT doing that, that would be helpful. I've looked at a bunch of YouTube videos of people using the feature, and in every case "hey siri" is the first thing in the text transcript, as is the case with me…

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I experimented more and realized that I was the one causing the pause. If I say Hey Siri and keep speaking (don't wait for the beep), it does as you state.