Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koulmj

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
Siri thinks everyone is talking to her all the time, through movies, in the other room, while playing pandora...she just tries butting in all the time, randomly walking up and stating "I'm sorry I didn't under stand you"....it's like being around my baby sister all the time.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
This happens to me even when the phone is not connected.

I had a quite embarrassing moment when (even with Do not Disturb activated) in a meeting I had Siri make the bip bip noise and then tell me she did not understand what I asked for...

Everyone in the meeting room looked at me with a "what an idiot" face... :/

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This happens to me even when the phone is not connected.

I had a quite embarrassing moment when (even with Do not Disturb activated) in a meeting I had Siri make the bip bip noise and then tell me she did not understand what I asked for...

Everyone in the meeting room looked at me with a "what an idiot" face... :/

You must be jail broken then eh? As far as I know Siri only activates by voice when plugged in, unless jail broken.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Mine is doing this too. Very frustrating. So far I've only noticed it when plugged in. But I've not even done anything for it to activate.

NeoX360

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2007
Mine is doing this too. Very frustrating. So far I've only noticed it when plugged in. But I've not even done anything for it to activate.

Go to settings and turn off hey Siri, that should prevent Siri from activating when plugged in...

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
You must be jail broken then eh? As far as I know Siri only activates by voice when plugged in, unless jail broken.

No jailbreak.

Stock.

In the beginning it would happen while connected to my dock stand (even though the words out of the TV had nothing even close to 'siri'), but then it started happening randomly, not that many times, maybe 3 in a month...

Still it's quite annoying...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
No jailbreak.

Stock.

In the beginning it would happen while connected to my dock stand (even though the words out of the TV had nothing even close to 'siri'), but then it started happening randomly, not that many times, maybe 3 in a month...

Still it's quite annoying...

It's only supposed to come on with voice command when plugged into a power source. If it's doing it while on battery and not jail broken, I'd try a restore to fix it, or bring it into an Apple Store.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
It's only supposed to come on with voice command when plugged into a power source. If it's doing it while on battery and not jail broken, I'd try a restore to fix it, or bring it into an Apple Store.

Yeah, I'm waiting for 8.1 to do a clean install since I upgraded from gm to 8.0.2 and maybe some artifacts stayed :)

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
Happens to me quite a bit when my headphones are plugged in and I'm riding my bike. Quite annoying.

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Happens to me on the odd occasion.
8.1 should, hopefully fix it.
I remember in the beta stages of iOS 8 it would work without it being connected to a charger, and someone would say Hey and siri would make the noise :p awkward

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I've had this issue sporadically since iOS 6. Perhaps this is why they added that hold down the home button then release feature.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I have something like this issue. Siri doesn't say anything but sometimes I hear her ping like it's going into Siri but when I check my screen doesn't show Siri. It's weird

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I turned it off because the only time I would use it is in my car, and it doesn't work at all in my car.

It activates Siri when I say "Hey Siri" but it then doesn't hear anything else. Every time.

Works fine if plugged in to a charger at home, so I'm thinking Bluetooth is the culprit somehow.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I turned it off because the only time I would use it is in my car, and it doesn't work at all in my car.

It activates Siri when I say "Hey Siri" but it then doesn't hear anything else. Every time.

Works fine if plugged in to a charger at home, so I'm thinking Bluetooth is the culprit somehow.

I don't know about your car, but in mine, with Ford SYNC and I saw 'Hey Siri' I can see the display ready for me, but I have to wait a couple of seconds for the radio display on the car to be 'listening' before it will hear me better. I've only used it a couple of times though.

sandersen

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
Siri acting pretty spooky

After reading some of these replies, I probably won't have a problem sleeping tonight ;) Last night I plugged my iphone 6 in and set it on my nightstand. I always close down all running apps before I turn off the display. I was in another part of the room watching television (this television doesn't have a soundbar or system, just a small flatscreen with crappy factory speakers) and about an hour later I hear my phone making some sound. Thinking it was a muffled text message from my daughter, I walked over (15 feet from where I was sitting) and looked at phone. Siri is saying "I can't understand you." Well this quietly freaked me the hell out. I still am not quite sure how this can happen, I'm certainly not "techy" to understand how these bugs work. There have been 2 strange deaths in my house and specifically in my large bedroom with masterbath. I keep telling myself that I don't believe in spirits etc., but with lights coming on by themselves and now Siri being a spooky bitch, I have to remind myself to be rational.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.