Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
After extensive time playing with siri I have to say it's pretty awesome, much better then the first gen of voice recognition, but have a few complaints:

-Why does the "Dragon Go" app let me say "Play Lady Gaga You And I on Spotify" and it will launch Spotify and play that exact song, but SIRI just says "I'm sorry I can not do that"

I guess Apple did not integrate SIRI with apps like Spotify... Such a shame, and a HUGE fail.

Second... The accuracy. I'm white, I speak clear and perfect California english (LOL what I'm saying is no accent!), and it still has a ways to go in recognizing every word I say.........

How is everyone else finding the accuracy like if you try to send an email or a text and you speak your message?

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I found it worked well for me understanding what I said.

Apple couldn't possibly integrate it with every 3rd party developers app. They did what they could. I'd guess at some point, developers will be able to add that to their apps though.

Everyone has an accent, even if you don't hear it. It will learn, and get better as you use it more.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Now that Apple has released it they will move on. It wont get any better.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Siri will get better and more features will be added it's one of the best new features they have added in a while and with hands free laws coming to more places the demand for a good voice control system is only going to grow.

ncarnall

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Now that Apple has released it they will move on. It wont get any better.

So are you saying the iPhone hasn't got any better since it was released 3 years ago? because Apple moved on? Hmmm......I don't think so lol

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
So are you saying the iPhone hasn't got any better since it was released 3 years ago? because Apple moved on? Hmmm......I don't think so lol

I mean really? Do you think he is serious?

People now a days can't detect sarcasm for ****.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
After extensive time playing with siri I have to say it's pretty awesome, much better then the first gen of voice recognition, but have a few complaints:

-Why does the "Dragon Go" app let me say "Play Lady Gaga You And I on Spotify" and it will launch Spotify and play that exact song, but SIRI just says "I'm sorry I can not do that"

I guess Apple did not integrate SIRI with apps like Spotify... Such a shame, and a HUGE fail.

Second... The accuracy. I'm white, I speak clear and perfect California english (LOL what I'm saying is no accent!), and it still has a ways to go in recognizing every word I say.........

How is everyone else finding the accuracy like if you try to send an email or a text and you speak your message?

It's still in beta form, when it's all said and done it may include Spotify support, but let's face it, Spotify isn't the top service around anyway, so maybe that's a factor in it as well. Also, what does you being white have to do with not having an accent? If you don't have an accent you don't have an accent, lol! You obviously have some issues, my friend. Maybe you speak too quickly. If its so disappointing I hope you go back to whatever phone you were using previously, Or, Dragon dictation is always there for ya! Best luck to you, bro.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009

Its pretty accurate IMO, I have a boston accent and it picks up what i say 95% of the time, the times it does not, is because I talk way too fast or mumbled the words.

What are you saying that its not picking up?

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Siri was implemented to draw attention away from the fact that the 4S is a stopgap measure until Apple can sort the problems out of iPhone 5.

It's as simple as that.

Always the clever one, Apple knows their audience well. Gimmicks like Siri are a big hit with those who are easily amused.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008

LOL, I think he was being sarcastic but in the event he was actually serious, I will give him credit for this. The voice command they added to the 3GS, they completely abandoned and have made zero improvements... For obvious reasons, but I still feel like they shafted people into buying a 4S just to get yet another voice system that isn't quite 100% ready for the public consumption..

AND in total google fashion, we the consumer are now their beta testers. They are recording our voices to help make the product better, which is why it requires an internet connection... Just like google uses our mouse clicks to make Picasa's face recognition better.

----------

Its pretty accurate IMO, I have a boston accent and it picks up what i say 95% of the time, the times it does not, is because I talk way too fast or mumbled the words.

What are you saying that its not picking up?

Well for one, in total Apple fashion it doesn't like cuss words... I am so glad I can finally add cuss words as short cuts so the autocorrect doesn't have to correct me every time I try to type a cuss word.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
wait what does being white have to do with you speaking perfect english? Can black people not speak english right? (ok maybe sometimes) Can asian people not speak english right? I know there is plenty of white people in europe that can't speak american english due to their accents.

Pravius

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
MI
wait what does being white have to do with you speaking perfect english? Can black people not speak english right? (ok maybe sometimes) Can asian people not speak english right? I know there is plenty of white people in europe that can't speak american english due to their accents.

Leave this political ******** at the door!

Stop picking the dude apart, you know what he meant.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009

I've posted this about 10 other times already in various threads, but just as a reminder:
iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1559.jpg

Siri can't launch or integrate third-party apps. Not yet. Matter of fact, she can't launch 1st party apps. Try asking her to "Open the Safari app" and observe her response. To the best of my knowledge (as a registered developer), there's no API to integrate with Siri. This is not to say there is no demand for it or that it's not going to happen. To call this a "HUGE fail" is over-reactive.

I live in NY, have my entire life & have the stereotypical thick accent & attitude to go with it (though I don't reflect either of these on message boards if I can avoid it). Siri has been nearly flawless. I've spent every day since Friday putting her through the ringer -- which is encouraged because she will learn your speech patterns over time. On top of my accent I drive a really loud lifted Jeep with 315/75R16 mud terrain tires (roughly 35" in diam) with the rear window down and at highway speeds (70+; not the most stable experience but hey gotta keep up w/ the right lane). I use Siri to text my wife on my hour-long ride home and I've had to repeat myself at most three times in the past 4 days of texting. Granted I use ears buds with a mic (from Sennheiser) and have to speak loud but I'd have to be loud to talk to a human sitting in the passenger seat in this vehicle.

Don't give up on Siri -- she's only going to get better with age. ;)

pettifogger06

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
One of my biggest annoyances with Apple is the failure to allow widgets for things like wifi/bluetooth. If, and when Siri is able to activate such things, it will double its usefulness.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
Siri was implemented to draw attention away from the fact that the 4S is a stopgap measure until Apple can sort the problems out of iPhone 5.

It's as simple as that.

Wow I didn't realize you were on the Apple design team and knew every flaw of the imaginary iPhone 5 design. :rolleyes:

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I think siri is great and a lot of times people complain without reason. If you rate siri based off what it is and was stated to do, it's great.

It does seem to improve over time and I notice unless I'm saying something really long. For the most part I talk to it in a normal speed and it's very accurate.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008

I should have been more clear, what I meant to say is that I do not have an accent so I know that's not the reason why it doesn't understand everything. ;) I realize there are plenty of people out there who aren't white who you couldn't tell by talking to them on the phone, but yet then again there are those who have such a thick accent that it's impossible to understand them.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011

It's as simple as that.

Always the clever one, Apple knows their audience well. Gimmicks like Siri are a big hit with those who are easily amused.

You my friend bring truth like no other.

I've never heard it put better.

I enjoy my iPhone 4s tremendously, but I'm no Apple fan boy and recognize the obvious when I see it.

Again, very well said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.