Siri is confused about my work address

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j-a-x, Oct 18, 2011.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I've got a really strange Siri bug here and I was wondering if anybody has seen this before or if anybody has any suggestions about fixing it.

When I asked Siri this morning to give me directions to my work, she came up with the wrong location of my work. When I looked at the map, it turned out she was giving me directions to 123 Gates street while my work address is actually 123 Bates street. My address book card says Bates street, and when I ask siri to show me my work address she shows me the card with 123 Bates street, however her directions always go to Gates street.

How would siri get confused between Gates and Bates when all she's doing is pulling info from the address book database. I don't understand where the incorrect info even comes from, let alone how to fix it when my address book card is already correct.

Any ideas?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

She's probably running the address through some validation service that isn't recognizing 123 Gates as valid, and is returning 123 Bates as the suggested alternative.

Try running your work address (as entered in your contact) through this validator and see what comes back:

http://www.qas.com/address-search/interactive-demo.htm

Of course Siri isn't necessarily using the same base data, but there's a good chance (it's the USPS validation database).

3. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Hm that might be it. I entered the address and it came up with Bates Avenue not Bates Street. Both go to the same street (correctly) in Google Maps. I made up number 123 by the way, just so I didn't enter my exact address here.

Anyways, I work in a research building of a hospital and they have Bates STREET as the address on their website, which is why I had always used that address but let's see if changing it to Ave fixes things.

----------

It worked! Thanks so much! Weird how many places use Bates Street when it's actually Bates Ave.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Great! I've run into address validation issues with shipping software many times that did this sort of thing, so it sounded REAL familiar :)