Siri is forgetting my relationships!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pixelchild, Oct 17, 2011.

1. pixelchild macrumors member

hi. i keep training siri who my father, mother, and girlfriend is. i then accept when it asks me if i want siri to remember this.

1 minute later: call dad's mobile.
    siri: what is your father's name?

it forgot already.

anyone having issue with this?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Did you try setting the relationships in your contact info? That's how it knows who to contact.

3. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

You have to say "________ Is my Father."

Check out this video.

4. benj07 macrumors member

I had some trouble too...the solution was to create a contact in your 'iCloud' address book, use it as the linked contact for "you", and then add your relationships.

Some other contact services, i.e. Google don't support the custom fields required to define the Siri relationships.

5. pixelchild thread starter macrumors member

hi. thanks for the replies.

i should have been more specific. i did do all of the above mentioned first.

i was able to set up father mother girlfriend all through the siri by saying

"________ is my father" etc.

but after i would set it, it would still forget.

i think i MAY have figured it out. i went back to check in my actual contact label and it said this in my contact card...

MANAGER: (my fathers name)
    ASSISTANT: (mother's name)

strange right?

could it be that i'm using google mobile exchange for contacts and that those fields are available?

i will test it and report back.

6. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

You can go into contacts and specifically add Relationships. (go to your OWN contact name).

If you do WANT to use Siri, Make sure to say "Confirm" or click Confirm.

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yep! You need an iCloud one that lets you designate the relationship, father, mother and etc.

8. josh3326 macrumors member

If she is forgetting already, you have to dump her....... One day she'll not remember who you are and when you touch her, she will call 911.

The red neck way is to slap her around.

9. benj07 macrumors member

Read my previous post.

Google sync is the problem. Need to create a separate contact for yourself outside of Google.

10. pixelchild thread starter macrumors member

ben thanks! i didn't get a chance to read your reply earlier since i was writing mine.

that is pretty much exactly what i plan to do.

i assume you are using google contacts (all - you) and icloud contacts (1 person, you) at the same time?

11. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

Contrary to popular opinion, Siri does not learn. She must be told.

If you don't define relationships inside of your contacts Siri will never learn who they are.

12. Pheelyx macrumors regular

Pheelyx

It's definitely Google sync that's the problem, was doing the same thing to me.
    I imported all the Google contacts to iCloud and turned off Google. And it's for the best, got tired of creating contacts on the phone and they wouldn't sync to Google anyway and just stay on the phone.

13. redman042 macrumors 68020

My primary email is my work Exchange Server, and I have the same limitation on fields.

I've had to resort to speaking the people's names instead of relationships, though I've had limited success manually adding the "nickname" field and entering text like "my brother", "my dad".

14. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

My primary email is also Exchange, but I was able to add relationships. Remember, you add these to your contact...not the relationships contact.

Try the method described in the video in post 3, it works also even with Exchange.

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Siri Sucks

Once the simple minded are amused until they are satiated, Siri will lose it's buzz.

I predict it won't belong before someone creates a "Siri Sucks" thread :)