Siri is scary...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 4, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I just watched the keynote, and OMG, I have to have the 4S :)
    Siri is creepy, and acts exactly like something straight out of Star Trek. Unlike Voice Control, I'll actually use this!

2. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I find it a little funny that Apple's using Siri as a huge marketing ploy, when the app has been out for over a year. Siri definitely works well though, and the integration with the other apps is really nice.

3. Mackbook702 macrumors member

They're toting Siri's deep integration into the iOS software. Can you do all they showed in the keynote with the app?

4. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

You pretty much can, actually. You can ask it anything; weather, movie times, numbers, directions, etc. Apple has added the texting/email integration, but the app isn't all that much different.

5. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The app is now missing from the app store. :mad:

6. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Anyone know if there is a choice of voices?

That stock voice is creepy

7. vanfanel1 macrumors member

Did the siri app have wolframalpha integration as well? Can you ask it technical questions that get re-directed to wolframalpha? In the keynote he said "what's mitosis" and was redirected to wolframalpha output.

8. Mackbook702 macrumors member

Of course it'll recognize your voice in the same general fashion, but for instance can you reply to texts without copying and pasting and fumbling through a few steps before the message is sent in the sleek and seamless fashion Assistant does?

9. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

No. It's definitely been developed a bit more, as the original app was mainly just for local businesses, restaurants, weather, etc.

I just said that Apple added the texting integration. The basic functions of Siri, however, have been out for some time. It's essentially the same thing, but more integrated into iOS.

10. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Apology for what?

11. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I understand the deep integration into the OS with Siri, but I am more than a little pissed that they just killed the standalone app. There is no reason that Siri should require the 4S as far as I can tell and should have just been a feature in iOS 5.

12. HopHead927 macrumors member

In the BBC video on the home page, the voice sounded like a man, not a woman. Still robotic sounding though...

13. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

"Siri, can you turn the iPhone4S into something that isn't a huge disappointment?"
    Siri self-destructs.

14. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

"Siri, cover up this murder and get me some pizza"

15. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Well if Apple did that, then why would anyone even buy the iPhone4S ? Because the 4S is the biggest tech letdown in history, they need "Special" features to sell it.

16. LoganCircle macrumors member

They really need to film a commercial with Patrick Stewart.

"Siri, locate Commander Riker."
    "Commander Riker is no longer aboard the Enterprise."

17. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They need to get the voice of HAL 9000, Kit from knight rider, and the Star Trek TNG computer voice.

18. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

19. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I foresee a lot of late night comedy skits starring Siri.

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Siri is looking impressive, been watching all the clips I can find. One of the things I think is a nice touch (from the developers side at least) is the "let me think" part when it's looking stuff up. It might get annoying though. Does anyone know if it can launch apps? I still don't think it's worth buying the phone for though.

Hopefully you can change the voice too, I don't think Stephanie Hawking will be too nice to listen to after a few days.

21. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Supposedly, Siri includes a lot of AI. This is the beginning of Skynet.

22. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue