Siri is still having trouble connecting to the network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j-a-x, Oct 19, 2011.

?

How often do you estimate Siri can connect to the network?

1. 100% of the time

12.0%
  2. 80% to 99% of the time

32.0%
  3. 60% to 79% of the time

12.0%
  4. 40% to 59% of the time

12.0%
  5. 20 to 39% of the time

8.0%
  6. less than 20% of the time

24.0%
  1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Is anybody else still having problems getting Siri to work? It seems like every time I try to show Siri to somebody she cannot connect to the network. Is there any network status page or any official word from Apple? Siri is amazing when she can connect, but the lack of reliability is really bad. Sometimes I go driving and assume I can follow up with some text messages but then I find out once I'm in the car that Siri's servers aren't responding.

I know the servers are probably overloaded from the launch and it's still beta etc but I'm surprised they haven't fixed it by now.

Does Android speech recognition suffer from the same problems (does it send all of the voice data to an external server for analysis?)

Any thoughts on this? I have a feeling that in the future, rather than offloading voice transcription to an outside server, all of that will have to be done on the device instead in order to have a more reliable service.

2. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Yes.

As for network issues, I haven't had any since the outage 2 days ago. As for doing the speech recognition on the phone, I doubt that will happen any time soon. The analysis most like requires a lot of sound samples that the server compares things to really quickly, requiring a lot of processing power and storage which a cell phone doesn't have.

Essentially it is like a google search forr similar wave forms for each word.

For now the thing that would make it better is for cell carriers to actually improve their data networks, and for iPhone to get LTE. Plus Apple can work out their server issues. It is beta, after all.

3. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Mine worked perfect on release day (Friday) but since then it's only worked maybe 25% of the time. This morning when I was eating breakfast I used it to set some reminders but throughout the work day it has not worked once. I wonder if your geographic region matters or if everybody's requests are being sent to one large server farm...

4. Gage macrumors regular

Since the 14th, I can only think of 1 or 2 times Siri hasn't worked for me.

5. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

Great on the 14th, awful over the weekend, still a problem Monday morning. Since then, no problems connecting. Siri is connecting, getting more accurate, and learning. Really, really cool. Can't wait to see it taken to the next level.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

So you're saying you told her to set the reminders, it did, but then they didn't happen? Or are you saying that they just didn't go through at all?

7. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

At breakfast it worked fine, I asked to set a few reminders and she set them for me.

But then every time I tried to ask her to set a reminder after that she took like 20 seconds and then said "Sorry, I am having trouble connecting to the network" and then did not set the reminder.

It's not that I have a poor network connection. My connection is fine and fast enough where my desk is. The error message is generated when Siri's servers are overloaded and I guess the request times out. That happened to me about 10 times today, but it worked maybe 2 or 3 times.

After iPhone 4S release day, Siri has only worked about 50% of the time, maybe less. The other times I get that network error.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Oh okay, yeah that happened to me a couple of times as well. It doesn't happen much anymore, if at all, but it did happen maybe once or twice.

9. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x