Siri is working better than I hoped it would

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stealthipad, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

With ease I can tell it to "remind me at 7am on Monday morning to call Susan" and it set up a reminder!

I can ask it to text a person and dictate the text, all without touching a keyboard. I have a feeling I am only scratching the surface.

If you are on the go and need to remember something and yet do not have the time to type it in . . . . well friends.:)

Looks like Steve has left us with a great future!

2. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I agree. It is friggin' awesome. The recognition is extremely good (though I do speak in a clean Midwestern Standard). The fact that I can say "I feel like a burrito." and the phone comes back with restaurants close to me that mention burritos in the reviews. Sweet.

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I haven't gotten home to play with mine yet, but does it work even with no data access?

4. anysunday macrumors newbie

Aww man, I tried this, and she said "Sorry, I can't search for restaurants in the UK." At least she knew what I was trying to do...

Edit: @ Diamond, I'm afraid Siri doesn't seem to work without Data. I'm hoping this will change once she's out of Beta. A bit silly to have to be on data when you're setting a reminder or an alarm!

5. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

I'm really impressed by Siri! I cannot wait for future updates to incorporate it with third party apps!

7. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

yeah, I'm SUPER impressed, I'll be the first to admit I do not speak clearly in the least, I speak kind of hick and don't annunciate words properly but it still has an amazing success rate, I dictated a text message in my normal voice to see how much I would have to change my tone/annunciation while using it, and somehow I don't have to change my normal voice at all! I'm EXTREMELY happy with it.

8. locust76 macrumors 6502a

Nope. Which begs the question: Is Siri doing all the recognition work locally, or is your voice being streamed to a server in the cloud that's doing the recognition? If yes, then why can't the iPhone 3G do this?

In other news, I found this to be funny:
    [​IMG]

9. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Ok...I'm really, REALLY impressed.

I asked "Siri - change my repeating 5:45 alarm to 5:50." And bam - done.

Then, getting juvenile. "Siri, I'd like to see boobs." "I found 6 strip clubs, 5 of them are fairly close to you..."

Unreal. I've sent e-mails, texts, set up calendar appointments with multiple parties, and it is just nailing them...