Siri lied to me about YouTube app.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by inscrewtable, Jan 27, 2013.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

I asked her to open YouTube which I have installed as an app, but she came back with "You don't seem to have an app named 'YouTube'"

But then how come she knew that it was an app, and also she knew it was written in camel case?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You told her it was an app, and she has simply been made aware of the appropriate formatting for the proper noun "YouTube."

I suspect you think Siri is more capable than she is. She's just a computer program that recognizes key words for a few programmed actions.

3. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

Well the thing is that she opens 'SleepTalk', if I ask her and that would be more obscure. Therefore seeing as she definitely recognises YouTube as an app and obviously knows how to find non apple apps, it would seem that she must be programmed deliberately to respond as she has done. Which does not entirely make sense because she will open other google apps.

4. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

The solution to this is simple.

1. Buy tinfoil.
    2. Make hat shape
    3. Wear at all times on your head.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I just asked Siri and it had no problems launching YouTube for me.
    4S, 6.0.1

6. GreyOS macrumors 68030

Annoyingly when I do this it asks if I want to open YouTube or Capture (ie google's YouTube uploading app). It must have extra metadata with YouTube in it. I don't think it needs to be that helpful though. I'll say capture if I want that.

7. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

Interestingly, I just downloaded 'Capture' to see what would happen. Siri opens Capture but still says that 'there doesn't seem to be an app called Youtube. Weird. This is in Australia, but I presume that Siri uses US servers for processing.

8. Oui macrumors 6502

Just tried.
    I said "open youtube app" worked fine.

9. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

yyes I have recently discovered that it works ony with US, UK, or Canadian English but not Australian English set in Siri

10. Oui macrumors 6502

Ah. Ok

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It's entirely possible that the YouTube app in the Aus. App Store has its name formatted differently in the app's metadata or something causing the confusion.
    File a bug report with Apple.