Siri makes more sense on an iPad than iPhone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KittyKatta, Mar 22, 2012.

1. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Hear me out on this one, but Siri makes more sense on the iPad than the iPhone.

While Siri is meant to allow hands-free input, in real world usage then people are constantly looking at their commands in order to confirm they were properly understood. So if inputting an appointment or search results in immediately looking at the device then wouldn't it fit better on a tablet where you are already looking at the screen, rather than on a phone where you are probably multitasking and trying NOT to look at the phone screen?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be on iPhones because I use Siri regularly for simple tasks and I do believe it will be a standard input on all future Apple products. But, I'm just saying that if given a choice then I'd probably use Siri more on my iPad than on my phone. :D

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I agree with you...But it makes little difference in the UK as Siri is still crippled and unable to look for any UK based business. I would probably use it more on my iPad than I do on the phone.

3. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Siri is still beta right now but i'm sure someday soon she will be in every ios device in some form

4. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I disagree. But it's no biggie either way.

I think that a VERY portable device that allows you to use hands free esp when you are in a vehicle etc, offers me more use than an iPad. iPad dictation feature is more than enough. It pops up everytime you bring up your keypad which is all you really need it for.

Having the ability to speak to my device on the fly is more convienience based in my opinion. I don't currently have Siri on my iPhone4 but I do see the merit in the program. Either you trust it to work or you don't use it, this goes for whether it is iPad or iPhone imo.

5. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

siri requires an internet connection to work. Not all iPads have a 24/7 connection to the internet.

6. davenz macrumors regular

Do people actually use siri other than for making it say funny stuff? Why are people so hung up about it not being on the ipad.

7. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

I don't have a 4S, but I do have a new iPad and the accuracy of the voice dictation BLOWS ME AWAY! I LOVE IT!!!

That said, my fiancé has the 4S, and I haven't heard her speak to Siri (I usually mispronounce it 'Suri') in months...

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes. I find it to be quite useful.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

It makes the most sense on an "always-connected" device due to its need for constant server access. It also makes more sense on the iPhone because of "hands-free" and "don't text and drive" statutes. It's very easy to send and receive/listen to texts with Siri as is using it in GPS mode.

While you certainly can use the iPad in the same way. The always-connected/always present nature of smartphones makes the iPhone the more logical candidate. Would be nice to have the technology available across all product lines - and it will be at some point.

10. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Why do people need it on a tablet?

Its not a necessary piece of software. Yes its good for a phone, as many people run their life through their iPhone for things like appointments, reminders, emails, etc.

An iPad though? No. Just no.

The day people start walking around talking to a slab of metal will be the day humanity hits an all time low.

They also need to fix the voice dictation before anything else. Its incredibly poor at the moment. Has trouble recognising even the most basic of words, no matter what accent I attempt to use with it. Although it did seem to respond better to an american accent, but then I just look like an idiot talking with a different accent when I'm from NE England.

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

Yeah holding an iPad up to your face while driving makes perfect sense

12. dell who? macrumors member

I think the biggest obstacle for Siri use on an iPad is simply holding the thing up to your face. Headphones can be used of course, but the reason the 4S does as well as it does with Siri isn't just because it's online at all times but more because of the substantially upgraded microphone implement. They could outfit the iPad with the same hardware, but again, holding it up to our face to give the mic the opportunity to hear us clearly enough would be a little awkward at times. The point that was made about Siri still being considered beta is also valid, because it could change drastically in the not too distant future, so until ALL the kinks have been worked out I wouldn't expect that Apple is interested in testing the waters on more than one device at a time.

13. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Would you hold the iPad up to your face like a phone to do a video call on Skype or FaceTime? No, the iPad has a decent enough microphone to be able to pick up your voice clearly from a couple feet away (unless you've got a LOT of background noise). I use vlingo on my iPad 2 at times and it works just fine.

14. dell who? macrumors member

What you need to keep in mind is the mic is clear enough with those apps for another human being who thinks with a brain and speaks the same language you do. Siri, iPhone, iPad, the internet, none of these things work that way. I'm not speculating about the mic being upgraded in the 4S specifically for Siri use. That is fact. Voice input needs to be MUCH more accurate to give Siri even a fighting chance at getting our requests right, and it's still losing for a lot of people. I'm right back to my original point again.

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

ive tried using voice dictation while my ipad sits in the passenger seat next to. doesnt work well all the time.