Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
i encountered an odd behavior with CarPlay last night (wireless on my Pioneer 4500NEX). when i asked siri for directions home, she replied she didn't have an internet connection and to try again later (even though i had 2 bars of signal). from the maps page, if i hit the "home button" i also got a response that i had no internet connection, by which time i was showing 4 bars of service.

i decided to try Google Maps instead, and by voice, was able to give my home address and it promptly gave me directions home.

has anyone else encountered something similar?

i'm glad CarPlay now allows alternative maps.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
has anyone else encountered something similar?
Everyone has experienced times when certain servers could not be reached. In this case Siri couldn't reach the server, not because the network wasn't working but due to some other reason (Siri server down, routing problem, etc.). These things happen all the time, even to Google.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Everyone has experienced times when certain servers could not be reached. In this case Siri couldn't reach the server, not because the network wasn't working but due to some other reason (Siri server down, routing problem, etc.). These things happen all the time, even to Google.

thanks. does that mean that even if i don't use "Hey Siri"/voice and hit the preprogrammed "Home button" in maps that it still is routed through Siri even though voice recognition isn't required?

i guess it's good we have choices and backup alternatives (google maps, waze)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.