Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi Folks,

I don't know if this has been discussed in any other thread, but for the Canadian folks, I wanted to post this where it can be seen.

I called Apple today and they confirmed that Siri won't be available on the CDN iphone. She didn't say if this was permanent, but at least for the launch, it is.

It's not listed on the features from the website.

:(

Cheers,
Keebler

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
They clearly mentioned it was in beta and new locations and languages would be added.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Wow, that sucks. I wonder what the limitation is that they won't include it in the canadian iPhone. Actually I wonder how they would even block it if its part of the OS.

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
Maybe Siri has problems understanding "heh!" :D

In all seriousness, why wouldn't it be enabled for Canada? It does understand english & french, right?

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Probably because Siri is not all knowing, if you were to ask Siri to find you a chinese restaurant in a city of 10,000 it probably would fall flat on it's face and have no response.

Also maybe the Canadian iPhone 4S only has 512 MB's of ram, but I doub't that.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Probably because Siri is not all knowing, if you were to ask Siri to find you a chinese restaurant in a city of 10,000 it probably would fall flat on it's face and have no response.

I know you're one of the most knowledgeable posters on MR but you don't know what you're talking about here. Siri relies on a host of partners to produce results. It's like media, Apple has to negotiate partnerships and find partners that can provide the info they need.

As for only 512MB RAM in the Canadian phone, you may be onto something there. :rolleyes:

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I am pretty sure all iPhone 4S's are the same. However, I think its probably due to the beta nature of the product.

I actually wonder if Siri will be rolled out to iPhone 4's and other iDevices after the beta is over. This could happen. For now they will keep it on 4S only just to get people to upgrade from their iPhone 4's (people who normally would not have but want this new feature).

Then after 6 months or so, it comes out of beta and becomes rolled into a routine update or downloadable from the app store or something. By then all the fanboys have upgraded, so no loss for Apple there, and everyone else gets something cool.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I don't think this is as dire as it seems. I know I'm talking out of my a:apple::apple: here, but to me, logic dictates that the reason Siri isn't here in Canada at launch is because it doesn't have the right to access 3rd party stuff to provide *some* information. I think that anything in-phone will work just fine. Most likely, you WILL be able to:

• Ask it to play music
  • Ask it to set up meetings
  • Ask it to send text massages
  • Ask it to phone specific people
  • Get the weather
  • Dictate to it, etc.

I bet all that will be there. You probably won't be able to say "Find me a great Italian restaurant within 20km and book a table for two at 7pm" at launch, but within a few months, it wouldn't surprize me.

Is it a fail? Sure, but it's only a 20% fail. I bet overall, it'll be great.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Different countries have different accents.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

so what happens if you wanna find a Chinese restaurant in a city of 10,000 in the US?

oh wait.. no such things exist right? :rolleyes:
/sarcasm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Different countries have different accents.

i wonder if Siri will get confused with a new yorkers accent.. the entire state pronounces 'O's as 'A's, and vice versa.

saccer (soccer)
hackey (hockey)
woter (water)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.