Siri not available on CDN iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Keebler, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi Folks,

I don't know if this has been discussed in any other thread, but for the Canadian folks, I wanted to post this where it can be seen.

I called Apple today and they confirmed that Siri won't be available on the CDN iphone. She didn't say if this was permanent, but at least for the launch, it is.

It's not listed on the features from the website.

:(

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

What the heck! It's probably one of the main reasons to upgrade to the iP4S. Well .... guess I won't be upgrading after all :(

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Really stupid but I'm not surprised.

Siri is still in beta

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They clearly mentioned it was in beta and new locations and languages would be added.

5. xwinger macrumors member

6. profets macrumors 68040

Wow, that sucks. I wonder what the limitation is that they won't include it in the canadian iPhone. Actually I wonder how they would even block it if its part of the OS.

7. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Maybe Siri has problems understanding "heh!" :D

In all seriousness, why wouldn't it be enabled for Canada? It does understand english & french, right?

8. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Probably because Siri is not all knowing, if you were to ask Siri to find you a chinese restaurant in a city of 10,000 it probably would fall flat on it's face and have no response.

Also maybe the Canadian iPhone 4S only has 512 MB's of ram, but I doub't that.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I know you're one of the most knowledgeable posters on MR but you don't know what you're talking about here. Siri relies on a host of partners to produce results. It's like media, Apple has to negotiate partnerships and find partners that can provide the info they need.

As for only 512MB RAM in the Canadian phone, you may be onto something there. :rolleyes:

10. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I am pretty sure all iPhone 4S's are the same. However, I think its probably due to the beta nature of the product.

I actually wonder if Siri will be rolled out to iPhone 4's and other iDevices after the beta is over. This could happen. For now they will keep it on 4S only just to get people to upgrade from their iPhone 4's (people who normally would not have but want this new feature).

Then after 6 months or so, it comes out of beta and becomes rolled into a routine update or downloadable from the app store or something. By then all the fanboys have upgraded, so no loss for Apple there, and everyone else gets something cool.

11. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

12. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

I don't think this is as dire as it seems. I know I'm talking out of my a:apple::apple: here, but to me, logic dictates that the reason Siri isn't here in Canada at launch is because it doesn't have the right to access 3rd party stuff to provide *some* information. I think that anything in-phone will work just fine. Most likely, you WILL be able to:

• Ask it to play music
    • Ask it to set up meetings
    • Ask it to send text massages
    • Ask it to phone specific people
    • Get the weather
    • Dictate to it, etc.

I bet all that will be there. You probably won't be able to say "Find me a great Italian restaurant within 20km and book a table for two at 7pm" at launch, but within a few months, it wouldn't surprize me.

Is it a fail? Sure, but it's only a 20% fail. I bet overall, it'll be great.

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Different countries have different accents.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

so what happens if you wanna find a Chinese restaurant in a city of 10,000 in the US?

oh wait.. no such things exist right? :rolleyes:
    /sarcasm

i wonder if Siri will get confused with a new yorkers accent.. the entire state pronounces 'O's as 'A's, and vice versa.

saccer (soccer)
    hackey (hockey)
    woter (water)

15. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

It's probably an exchange rate thing ;)