Siri not reading all messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by c14nhl, Oct 18, 2011.

1. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Hi all

Has anyone noticed that Siri doesn't read every message, sometimes telling you it's about to be read, followed by a silence, and finally asking you if you'd like to reply or read again.

Has anyone been able to solve this?

2. ballsop macrumors regular

ballsop

You're going to have to reset it. I just turned Siri off and on again in settings and it did the trick!

3. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I was afraid I was going to have to do this as it resets all the info it has saved on you regarding your voice and accent.

Can you confirm that this has totally solved your problem and is now reading all messages?

4. extremei5 macrumors member

extremei5

I had this same issue and it turns out you have to unlock your phone ( the slide to unlock feature on your screen) for Siri to read your messages. Try it, it worked for me:)

5. james92se macrumors 6502a

I've noticed Siri won't read your messages from the lock screen unless you have the preview turned on (I bet the guy who said the phone has to be unlocked has message preview disabled).

I was kind of annoyed at first but then it makes sense because if you have message preview off for a reason (don't want people reading your texts), then anybody being able to listen to them via Siri circumvents that "security" feature.

However, on the flip side, if you do have preview turned on, you can't help but read the message before/while activating Siri, so it's really very limited in usefulness unless you're literally actively driving or make a point to close your eyes when you hear a message come in to activate Siri.

6. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I've tried turning this off and on but it's still not worked. I can't work out why it's read some and not others. I thought it was to do with having misspelled words but that's not the case.

Any other ideas?