Siri not working with macOS Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by dan.jones, Jul 19, 2016.

1. dan.jones macrumors newbie

I've installed all three of the developer previews of macOS Sierra and in none of them I have managed to get Siri to work. I just kept waiting as I expected it to fix itself but hasn't.

Every time I try and use Siri the wave moves as I talk but then it doesn't pick up any of the spoken words.

Using a Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014
    Any ideas? Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 09.30.58.png Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 09.32.07.png

2. IcemanTR macrumors newbie

IcemanTR

Hi You must activate the internal Microphone, you have external activated

3. acierno macrumors newbie

I am having exactly the same problem. Siri seems to hear me - but then responds with "Sorry, something's gone wrong......."

Have you figured it out?

4. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

5. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

At least you're getting a response from Siri. On my 2015 iMac, Siri is set to access the internal microphone yet just sits there dumb. Other apps have no problem with the mic, but Siri can't seem to find it and just keeps giving me text telling me to ask it something.

6. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

Again...this is a failed attempt to add something to the Mac that anyone could have predicted would be problematic. The Feedback to Apple website I think is totally ignored by the Geek Developers....this new OS is filled with stuff no one needs or wants.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Works perfect on my MBA 2015, that is why I don't like touching pre-official releases on my mac.

You have an external mic on the settings, make sure its the one you want and that is turned on, maybe you want to change it to the internal one?

If that didn't work, I would recommend a clean install which will probably fix it.

8. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

A clean install takes hours.....backup files etc....if you must have Siri...I would wait a month or more until they fix it.

9. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Siri on my iphone and iPad works fine. On my iMac it's a waste of space. It doesn't understand 99% of what I say.

10. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Works fine for me, I just plugged in the earbuds I got with my iPhone and hung them over the edge of the display.

A.

11. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

Wow....its not working through the new OS? Amazing...who knew there would be problems????

12. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

Well considering that Siri was the big new heavily advertised feature of Sierra, I'd expect that (if nothing else) to work as promised.

13. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Siri works fine for me on my cMP with an external microphone and external speakers.

Lou

14. Nabster23 macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue i believe. Siri is completely unresponsive and i have tried everything to my knowledge.

I was in contact with Apple Support last night and i screen shared with a Senior chat advisor for about 1 hour. They have generated a report to go Apple engineers and i will update when they get back to me.

Regards,

Nab

15. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Just installed it tonight on my mid 2012 MBP. She worked the very first time, all I said was Siri play me some music and she opened iTunes