Siri on Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gabo864, May 12, 2015.

1. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I'm trying to use Siri on my Apple watch, but everytime I say "Hey Siri" it comes up on my iphone and not the watch!? Do I need to turn something on or something? Thanks.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You must be on the Watch face with it lit for 'Hey Siri' to work. To turn it on in :apple:Watch Settings: General: Siri and with on. Also you iPhone must be plugged in.

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

For me it's easier to just press and hold the digital crown. The "Hey Siri" command is spotty.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

for it to work on your phone, yes.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The OP said "...it comes up on my iPhone....". I was simply adding that the OP must have had their iPhone plugged in while they were trying to activate 'Hey Siri' on their :apple:Watch. ;)

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

edit: nm, reading 101 is not my strong suite.

7. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I don't have to have my iphone plugged in for "Hey Siri" to work right? I use it all the time, even when it's not plugged in.

----------

Thanks everyone for your help. I didn't realize the screen had to be lit before I could use "Hey Siri" on my apple watch.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

It works for me every time.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Are you Jailbroken? Hey Siri doesn't work on the phone without it being plugged in to a charger.

10. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Im not jailbroken. I use it all the time without having to have my iphone plugged in. I thought it was part of a new update.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, the iPhone doesn't have the low energy hardware chip needed to have 'Hey Siri' listening all the time (like some Android phones). It is rumored to be coming to the 6S. The only way now is to have your iPhone jailbroken and take the battery hit (although many say it not too big of a battery hit).

12. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I'm recording a video right now to show you all. because thats why it was frustrating cuz I wanted to use siri on the watch but Siri kept coming up on my iphone and Im on iOS 8.3 So there is no way I could be jailbroken right?

----------

https://youtu.be/Fvy9sbuwn9s

This is the video.

13. Teehachcee macrumors newbie

I can confirm I can also say "Hey Siri" to my iPhone 6 plus 128gb iOS 8.3 (not jailbroken) when it's NOT on charge.
    Its actually really annoying when you raise your wrist and say "hey Siri" and both your iPhone and watch Siri are activated.

Turning the feature off on the phone fixed this.
    And when I turn the setting back on I can still say hey Siri.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Oh wow. Mine only does this when plugged in! Even in the settings it says this feature only works when plugged in.

iPhone 6 user with 8.3

15. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I honestly thought it came with the new iOS update. When I first got my iphone 6 back in Sept. I got it on a regular customer account and of course I jailbroke it! and I had the tweak to let me use the "Hey Siri" feature without the phone being plugged in. Then in January I got an employee account through Verizon and so I sold my iphone 6 and bought the 6 plus with my new employee account, I restored my iphone from back up and didn't jailbreak it and thats when I noticed that I could use "hey Siri" without my phone being plugged in. I thought it was just a new update or something, and then I switched back to the iphone 6 (my current iPhone) because the plus was just too big for me and I can still use "hey siri". I wonder if this is just a glitch that keeps transferring over my new devices and maybe it was caused by the jailbreak I had on my original device, because its very weird that not everyone can do it. Now I understand why my buddies at work were so surprised when I did it! I guess cuz they can't lol

16. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

It's very possible that your jailbreak tweak carried over with your restore. It's usually recommended to start fresh after coming from a jailbreak, because sometimes some internal code gets modified that ends up sticking even on a new unjailbroken phone.

17. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

ummm very interesting.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It has to be a glitch that carried over b.c it is not a stock feature :)