Siri on Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jordancrombie92, Aug 10, 2016.

1. jordancrombie92 macrumors regular

jordancrombie92

Why doesn't Siri talk back like she does on the iPhone? I wish they'd bring back the sound Siri made when she has understood 'Hey Siri' or at the double click of the crown.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I guess Apple did not think it would be a good experience for Siri to respond on the tiny little speaker. I tried to use it on a phone call and . . . . well when I stopped laughing, I never tried that again.

3. RadioGaGa1984, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Strange. I've used it many a times for phone calls. The other person usually can't believe it's from the watch. They thought I was on the phone. Saved my bacon one time, locked outta the car and the iPhone sitting in the cup holder. Was able to use it to call road side assistance.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I did not have the same experience.

5. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I never really used Siri that much on the iPhone, but I definitely use Siri a lot on the Watch. Most of the time it isn't for something that requires any kind of response from Siri. I just want Siri to do something for me like set a timer, send a text, dial a phone number, schedule a reminder, etc. I also ask Siri to turn our lights on and off some times (we have Hue smartlights in our living room, office and kitchen).

Where it would be nice to have Siri talk back is when Siri needs clarification, or when I want to ask Siri to tell me something rather than show me on the watch. For example it would be nice to be able to ask Siri to read a new incoming text to me while I'm driving or when my hands are busy with something else.

I have had phone calls on the watch when both sides could hear each other just fine, but I think it only works well when you are in a relatively quiet environment. That's usually not a problem since I don't like to talk on speaker phones, or talk to Siri on my watch, when I'm in public... unless I know I'm far enough away from others that they won't hear me and I won't disturb them. If only Siri could understand a whispered command!

We just watched the movie "Her" last weekend. It's a 2013 movie that is set in the future and explores the relationship between the main character (played by Joaquin Phoenix) and his AI assistant (voiced by Scarlett Johanssen). It's mostly about the existential impact of AI and what happens when AI becomes sentient (a branch of Sci-Fi I really enjoy), but I'm also always curious about how movies portray the technology of the future in more peripheral ways as well. Before the main character activates his new AI assistant, he interacts with his mobile device using voice commands much in the way we interact with Siri. There is definitely a syntax he must use (rather than the natural language he can use with his more advanced AI assistant). He wears a single wireless earpiece to hear his earlier digital assistant read his email or read the news headlines while he rides the train home from work. The part that jumped out at me was that on a noisy train he was able to quietly whisper commands to his digital assistant and they were understood every time!

I don't know how I feel about sentient AI, but I definitely want a digital assistant that can understand me when I quietly mumble a command on a rush-hour commuter train! :D