Siri on iPad 2 with ios6?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by garrize, Jun 10, 2012.

1. garrize macrumors regular

garrize

There have been rumours about Siri coming to iPad with the ios6 update.

Do you think they'll add that as well to the "older" iPads?

I know nobody can know for sure, and you'll probably answer "we'll see tomorrow...", but I was just wondering...

Thanks for your help! ;)

2. lepeos macrumors member

Maybe, they are still selling iPad 2s after all

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No. I think they will save it for the iPad 3. Otherwise people will just jump to iPad 2 because it's cheaper.

4. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Im not to sure how they would implement Siri on the iPads as not all have access to data network all the time.
    I suppose it could simply only work if you are on wifi for the wifi only iPads similar to FaceTime.

5. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Doubtful, Apple usually saves the latest for the latest, especially with a feature like Siri which was one of the iPhone 4S selling points.

6. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Exactly. Siri will add to the selling point of the new iPad over the iPad2. Similar to the 4S. Even though they said it's because of the dual core chip.

7. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Apple never once said it was due to the Dual Core chip, but more to do with additional noise suppression capabilities compared to the iPhone 4. However I have no issues with Siri on my JB iPhone 4, so take from that what you will.

8. shelob8888 macrumors member

I would love to see it on the iPad 2, and it would possibly be rolled out only to the 3g ones??? But I think it is a stretch...

although, Apple is only selling new iPad 2's in the lowest config (16 gig wifi or wifi+3g) So i don't think they are concerned with people buying the iPad 2 over the New iPad if they push Siri to previous generations of the iPad, given the spec options/lack-there-of.

9. barjam macrumors regular

Is Siri that big of a deal? Seems like the trade off is 200 dollars for better graphics and Siri or lack of Siri isn't that compelling.

10. jgc macrumors regular

I agree, I don't think it would be put on iPad 2's. iPad 2's are still selling amazingly well however I believe there's a good chance they'd put them on iPad 3's only as another way to differentiate the two products. Cause let's face it, for me the retina isn't worth it (and 41% of iPad purchasers agree). Maybe it would help boost the newer iPad. It worked for the 4S.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's a big deal when you consider that you have to test it on the various variants of the iPad. And it's not about bringing it to everyone, it's about bringing it to the people who will use it correctly and will help Apple improve it on their newer hardware.

12. gab2012 macrumors member

It could be done, remember the iPhone 4s has the same a5 chip as the iPad 2... but apple may go onto the greedy side and use it as another reason to upgrade to the new model.

13. garrize thread starter macrumors regular

garrize

Thank you for all your answers. :)
    They probably won't implement Siri to the iPad 2 for financial reasons... Too bad...

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

How is that the "greedy side"? You can still use the iPad 2 in the way you understood it to be used when you bought it. Siri is a cool feature but you don't really need to upgrade just for that feature.

15. gadget123 macrumors 68000

No surprise as the Iphone 4 never got it.

Another reason for people to update to Ipad 3.