Siri on iPad 2 with ios6?

garrize

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Paris, France
There have been rumours about Siri coming to iPad with the ios6 update.

Do you think they'll add that as well to the "older" iPads?

I know nobody can know for sure, and you'll probably answer "we'll see tomorrow...", but I was just wondering...

Thanks for your help! ;)

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Im not to sure how they would implement Siri on the iPads as not all have access to data network all the time.
I suppose it could simply only work if you are on wifi for the wifi only iPads similar to FaceTime.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Doubtful, Apple usually saves the latest for the latest, especially with a feature like Siri which was one of the iPhone 4S selling points.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
No. I think they will save it for the iPad 3. Otherwise people will just jump to iPad 2 because it's cheaper.
Exactly. Siri will add to the selling point of the new iPad over the iPad2. Similar to the 4S. Even though they said it's because of the dual core chip.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Exactly. Siri will add to the selling point of the new iPad over the iPad2. Similar to the 4S. Even though they said it's because of the dual core chip.
Apple never once said it was due to the Dual Core chip, but more to do with additional noise suppression capabilities compared to the iPhone 4. However I have no issues with Siri on my JB iPhone 4, so take from that what you will.

shelob8888

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2009
I would love to see it on the iPad 2, and it would possibly be rolled out only to the 3g ones??? But I think it is a stretch...

although, Apple is only selling new iPad 2's in the lowest config (16 gig wifi or wifi+3g) So i don't think they are concerned with people buying the iPad 2 over the New iPad if they push Siri to previous generations of the iPad, given the spec options/lack-there-of.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
No. I think they will save it for the iPad 3. Otherwise people will just jump to iPad 2 because it's cheaper.
Is Siri that big of a deal? Seems like the trade off is 200 dollars for better graphics and Siri or lack of Siri isn't that compelling.

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
I agree, I don't think it would be put on iPad 2's. iPad 2's are still selling amazingly well however I believe there's a good chance they'd put them on iPad 3's only as another way to differentiate the two products. Cause let's face it, for me the retina isn't worth it (and 41% of iPad purchasers agree). Maybe it would help boost the newer iPad. It worked for the 4S.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Is Siri that big of a deal? Seems like the trade off is 200 dollars for better graphics and Siri or lack of Siri isn't that compelling.
It's a big deal when you consider that you have to test it on the various variants of the iPad. And it's not about bringing it to everyone, it's about bringing it to the people who will use it correctly and will help Apple improve it on their newer hardware.

gab2012

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
It could be done, remember the iPhone 4s has the same a5 chip as the iPad 2... but apple may go onto the greedy side and use it as another reason to upgrade to the new model.

garrize

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Paris, France
Thank you for all your answers. :)
They probably won't implement Siri to the iPad 2 for financial reasons... Too bad...

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
It could be done, remember the iPhone 4s has the same a5 chip as the iPad 2... but apple may go onto the greedy side and use it as another reason to upgrade to the new model.
How is that the "greedy side"? You can still use the iPad 2 in the way you understood it to be used when you bought it. Siri is a cool feature but you don't really need to upgrade just for that feature.