Siri on Italian or Canadian iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by G-Funk, Oct 25, 2011.

1. G-Funk macrumors regular

G-Funk

I'm planing to purchase an iPhone 4s from either Italy during my vacation next month, in the mean time I've been in contact with a friend of mine in Canada for the possibility of getting me one!

While looking into Apple's iPhone 4s page in their Canadian & Italian sites! no mentioning of Siri!

I'm wondering, If it's possible to enable Siri on these versions of iPhone's when I use my US based iTunes Account/Apple ID when I set it up? or it's blocked from within the firmware ? :confused:

Can Anyone please confirm this ? Thanks! :confused:

2. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

Yes, in Canada we have Siri, just not in French yet so it's not on the Apple site because of this, also she does not function properly for maps, locations yet...... But Siri does still work for most other features.

3. G-Funk thread starter macrumors regular

G-Funk

So that means I can buy the device from any country & Siri would be active ? "in English , French & German ) Only ?

4. msoravia macrumors newbie

I guess so.
    Anyway, why on earth are you planning to buy it in Italy, where prices are outrageously high, more than anywhere else in Europe?
    It sounds pretty weird to me since i'm planning to buy it in the US... :rolleyes:

5. G-Funk thread starter macrumors regular

G-Funk

The Unlocked US version doesn't come out until November! (no specific date) & since I'll be in Italy during the 1st week of Nov I though I'd get me one while there! Just wanted to make sure that Siri works on their version of the iPhone!

6. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

If you buy from Canada and go home to the States, Siri will work perfectly fine. She uses Location Services to figure out where you are and goes from there, so if she knows your in the US she'll work fine with GPS features.

7. G-Funk thread starter macrumors regular

G-Funk

I understand ! But would it work on phones from countries that doesn't have language support! such as Italian, Swiss ? Etc....

8. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Yes it will, the phone still has siri just not for the languages of every country.

9. G-Funk thread starter macrumors regular

G-Funk

Are you sure? Won't it be Firmware locked?! depending on the region of the phone ?

10. msoravia macrumors newbie

It'll work. You just have to speak in one of the supported languages, no matter where you buy it (i'll tell you more, they should all ship from Ireland/Netherlands, so you see...)

----------

Swiss language?

11. webitorgal macrumors regular

webitorgal

Siri has limited use in Canada - you can't ask it for map-related directions. It *DOES*, however know the Capital of Canada now. :)

12. G-Funk thread starter macrumors regular

G-Funk

Swiss French , Swiss German, Swiss Italian:p , which are all different from France French, Germany German, & Italy Italian

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

Siri will work on any iPhone 4S bought from any country but only in the languages it currently supports. That said it's pretty silly to buy one in Italy or anywhere else out side the US as you're going to pay a lot more. For example I paid approximately $1100 here in the UK for an unlocked 64GB model. The same one in the US costs $750 plus tax. Why would you pay more just to have it a few weeks earlier.

14. G-Funk thread starter macrumors regular

G-Funk

The reason is that I'm not currently in the Sates to get one from there, neither am I in a country that currently sells the iPhone 4s! plus the US Unlocked version comes out Nov! & since I'm going to be in Italy early Nov, thought I might get one!

A friend of mine is in Canada & he's trying his best to find me one! Either one of us finds it first would be my new iPhone ! weather it be from Canada or Italy or my only option is to buy one from the US online store when it becomes available!

----------

15. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

So... they're already out then? ;)

Did you mean 2013?

16. G-Funk thread starter macrumors regular

G-Funk

Thanks for the info , Hope Apple includes Siri into OSX as well! :roll eyes: That'll be awesome :)

17. Consto macrumors newbie

SIRI in Canada

I'm confused here:confused::

Does SIRI works in Canada? I read some people saying it doesn't while other say it's not fully functional. I've looked at Bell Canada iPhone 4S page and Apple iPhone 4S page and there is no mention about SIRI. Let say SIRI doesn't work well in Canada is an upgrade from the iPhone 4 worth it? Or I should wait another year for the iPhone 5 since my contract will be up by that time.

Thanks in advance for getting back to me.

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

It should work just fine but it's not fully functional outside the US yet and according to Apple won't be until next year.

19. G-Funk thread starter macrumors regular

G-Funk

I have purchased 2 iPhone 4s's from my trip to Milan while my other 3 are still to be delivered to me from Canada, I'll test the Italian ones today & post my reviews!

20. G-Funk thread starter macrumors regular

G-Funk

iPhone 4s (Italian Version review)

After using the iPhone 4s (Italian Version) for a week, I can confirm that battery life is better than what i've read (even better than what my iPhone 4 was) , Siri works just fine (except for some few hiccups from the server every now and then) , location based services doesn't work outside of the US (for now) , besides that! the device sure feels snappy responsive , graphics do render faster, camera is noticeably better, and it's sure worth the upgrade!