Siri on the iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Sdreed91, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

I have an iPad (3rd gen) and on Apples website page it says Siri will be available for the iPad but requires internet connection. My question is however, will the Wifi only iPad be able to utilize Siri? I have looked and found no answer on Apples site unless I have missed it. Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, if you are on a WiFi connection and have access to the Internet.

3. Sdreed91 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. iOS 6 is going to be a great upgrade I think.

4. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It works the exact same way as the existing Dictation.

No WiFi, no Dictation.

WiFi, full Dictation.

Same applies to Siri.

5. Sdreed91 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes thank you. I know that. I was questioning whether or not a non cellular device would be able to use it.

I also am rather amused that I was down voted for asking a question.

Thanks for the reply

6. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Firstly, it was not myself who marked you down and I also believe it's a juvenile system at best.

The only way Siri would work on non cellular devices would be for Siri to have it's entire library of answers stored on the device, which considering the hundreds of different terms and questions it can be asked, would be near impossible.

Siri works by taking your voice (question or request), converting it into speech packets, sending it to Apple's server, and returning the answer to you.

Without Apple's server access, Siri cannot work. If you know this, then you should have known it was not possible on non-cellular devices.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Non Internet connected devices. The nature of the connection is not important. The connection is. So non-cellular is not really important here. I have a WiFi iPad. Siri works (as well as it ever works for me) just fine when I'm on a WiFi network. No Cellular hardware.

8. Sdreed91 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. Some of the hostility from members here when asking a question is uncalled for. Thanks again

9. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Yes it will work providing you have an internet connection (in your case WiFi).

I also have the new iPad (mine is also
    WiFi only) and I am very much looking forward to getting it on my new iPad. Although I already have it on my iPhone 4S, where I am so used to using it, it feels strange not having it on my iPad.
    It will be soon though!

Yes I agree, iOS 6 will be a great update! :)

10. Sdreed91 thread starter macrumors 6502

I also have the 4s and I can't say it any better it does feel strange without it on the iPad. I am really excited for the restaurant and movie integration though.

Also with the Yelp integration I imagine that might help local businesses more with increased exposure (assuming Siri pulls local businesses first through a search).