Siri on the New iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shahrezsyed, Jun 11, 2012.

1. shahrezsyed macrumors regular

Is anyone insanely excited for siri on iPad 3rd gen? I know I am. And is anyone using it yet (dev account)? If yes, first impressions?

2. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

Not really to be honest. Think I've used it maybe twice for something useful on my 4S. Having it on my iPad would be all the more inconvenient to use. At least with the phone you can stick it to your ear if it can hear you properly.

The most useful thing with the voice recognition is the dictation and iPads already have that feature.

I'm sure people will find it handy but personally I think it's just a gimmick no matter what Zooey Deschanel has to say on the subject. :)

3. qCzar macrumors regular

Ehhh, not really. The iPad is one of those devices that you pick up and work with. I see Siri really helping with people on-the-go that decided to schedule a dinner reservation while driving to the place, or buy movie tickets while stuck in traffic.

I'm not surprised the iPad has gotten Siri, as there's no drawback to having Siri and it can definitely handle it, but it's a feature I'd use more on my phone than my iPad. I'd likely use it for the novelty, however.

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

It might actually be useful in a car where you can't use you hands. I have voice in my car but very rarely use it as manual is reliable. (the key word is reliable).

The problem with Siri is that when you really, really, need it it will not work. You need patience to use it and THAT is something you won't have in a stressful situation.

But at other times when you are relaxed it might work ok, and this tech is certainly not going away.

5. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

So true. Driving at anything above 30mph, you can't use it.

An example....

Me: "Send message to my wife"
    Siri: "Okay. What would you like to say to Matthew?"
    Me: "Cancel"
    Siri: "Okay cancelled"
    Me: "Send message TO MY WWIIIFFFFE"
    Siri: "okay what would you like to say to your wife?"
    Me: "I'm running......"
    Siri: "okay...here's your message to wife: I'm ruining." "would you like to send it?"
    Me: "Cancel"
    Siri: "okay I won't send it."
    Me: "Send message TO MY WWIIIFFFFE"
    Siri: "okay what would you like to say to your wife?"
    Me: "I'MRUNNINGLATEBEHOMESOON"
    SirI: "okay...here's your message to wife: I'm ruining life beehive soon"
    Me: "ffs cancel"

What a fantastic piece of tech it is..... :)

6. foiden macrumors 6502a

We'll see. I'm pretty sure Siri is nowhere near that inaccurate. I use Dictation with my iPad right now and it certainly doesn't make those kind of mistakes.

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Works for me, hopefully it will learn your accent.

8. -TYLER macrumors regular

I have a iPad 2 so I wont be getting Siri, but I don't think I would use it that much anyways if I did have it.

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

so true.

10. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

Okay well wait until you actually need to use it hands-free in a slightly noisy environment.

Dictation is slightly different anyway. You push the button, then dictate, then push the button again. Siri is meant to pick up when you've finished talking but if stop for a split second it takes it as you're finished. It's fine when you're alone in a quiet area, but it's not very useful then unfortunately.

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I think I will find it much more useful on my brand new iPhone this fall. But it will still be cool to have on the iPad in certain situations.

12. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I'm looking forward to playing around with it. Right now I'm skeptical as to how truly useful it'll turn out to be beyond the dictation we currently have, but I think it'll be fun to goof around with and, who knows, maybe the new version will be smarter and more useful!

13. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Gonna be good stuff, looking forward to that and the new maps.

14. jacob-07, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

jacob-07 macrumors regular

I cant wait to tell my iPad to call me rock god...

15. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Siri only seems to work well if you have a strong clear American accent I find. If I speak to it normally in my Australian accent, it doesn't understand me. If I put on my fake American accent, low and behold. It works wonderfully! :)

16. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

Been using 6.0 beta and LOVE Siri on the iPad. Feels more responsive than on my 4S.

17. shahrezsyed thread starter macrumors regular

Now I'm more excited. I don't have an iPhone 4s so it's gonna be my first time using Siri.

18. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Read in numerous places that Siri is a lot more accurate in iOS 6. Not that it matters as it understands me 99.9% of the time anyway. I love it on my iPhone 4S and am very excited about getting it on my iPad :).

19. SamFisher macrumors member

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

Siri is unreliable, but I bet she will get there eventually. The problem is that I do not sit at home talking to my stuff, I don't talk to my stuff in the office, I don't talk to my stuff at the coffee shop, etc. I think the only use-case for me is the car. I just don't need to call, text, or mess around with stuff that much in the car. Maybe if I had a long commute I would. I don't know.

You ever notice that the computers in Star Trek talk plenty, but only at certain times during the show, and most of the time they are perfectly silent? The reason is that no one could get anything done if they were chatting with the computers all the time.

It's cool technology, but not a reason for me to use Apple products.

21. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

how to justify getting an ipad?

im quite looking forward to it, and this is someone coming from a 3GS, which doesnt have siri :(

22. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

You can also change the language Siri uses to Australian English and fix it that way...

23. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

and apple tell us that siri will recognize your voice over time... :rolleyes: looks like thisp oint just turned around what apple are saying :D

24. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

My iPhone calls me "The Dark Overlord of the Universe"

25. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

I do, it still doesn't work. It's probably not as well trained as its American counterpart. Oddly enough google voice works ok, but only when searching for more then one word, eg search "pizza" messes up, but "pizza shops in local area" works fine.