Siri on Watch vs iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by convergent, Oct 11, 2015.

1. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

iPhone am in day 2 using my apple watch. I'm trying to use Siri and every time I say"Hey Siri" my iPhone responds but not the watch. How do you get the watche's Siri to respond when the phone is asleep?

2. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

Make sure your Watch isn't active or it will answer over your iPhone.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

On your :apple:Watch open Settings (gear wheel): General: Siri and make sure Hey Siri is toggled on. On the iPhone Watch App hit General: and be sure Wrist Detection is toggled on.

With iPhone asleep raise your wrist and as the screen lights up say "Hey Siri what is 463+32". Don't hesitate after saying Hey Siri.

4. convergent thread starter macrumors 68000

convergent

Checked both of those settings and they are on. I lifted up the watch and said what you suggested without hesitation, and my asleep phone laying on the desk responded... no response from the watch.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Restart both and try again.

6. convergent thread starter macrumors 68000

convergent

I just tried disabling Siri on the iPhone when its locked, and now I get nothing. It appears that Siri doesn't work on my watch. I tried holding down the crown until Siri asks how it could help, and said "what's 2 + 2" and it didn't respond. Seems like its broken and not really sure where to start in trying to get it to work. There doesn't appear to be an app for it that I can reinstall.

7. convergent thread starter macrumors 68000

convergent

Restarted both and still did it. Finally discovered the problem. I was talking at the same voice level as I use with the iPhone and had the watch a foot away from my face. I put the phone up to my mouth like a microphone and talk loudly, and now its working. This kind of rules out being discreet when talking to my watch! I guess I'll have to play with it until I find the optimum distance and loudness, but would have expected the mic to be a bit more sensitive than what I'm seeing.

8. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Hey Siri works for me with my arm fully outstretched and talking at a normal or even low volume.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You may need to retrain your iPhone's Siri command "Hey Siri" to a more natural speaking level. I can speak in a fairly low (natural) voice with my iPhone several feet away with music in the background and it will respond.

10. convergent thread starter macrumors 68000

convergent

Thanks all... I got the hang of it now. This and discovering glances and I'm liking the watch a lot more!